29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alan

20 68.97%
  • Aidan

9 31.03%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alan or Aidan

Alan or Aidan

Both are Gaelic A names but one is a bit of a granddad name and the other a "too popular" choice.

I like both, for different reasons.

Nameberry, which one floats better? I've got a couple more A names I really like but these two are so close that I just want to compare them head-to-head.

Alan is not even popular amongst the vintage-lovers, who seem to favour Alfred. It is calm and unadorned. I like this spelling best. It feels relaxed and unpretentious. Is it too crusty or just underused?

Aidan is youthful and vibrant while still having a history. I have fond childhood memories of a friends' church, that was St. Aidan's. I like this spelling best. I like that it has a fiery meaning but not a pointy sound. I don't know how to feel about its popularity.

Even though Aidan is a perfectly fine name, I've heard it so many times that I'm completely sick of it. Out of all the boy's birth announcements I've heard in like the past half of a year, a little more than half of them have been Aidans or ending in an "aiden" sound (there was a Caden). So my vote goes for Alan, which is a nice, simple, never-trendy, handsome name.

I've always liked the name Alan. As a rule, I don't really like Al- names, and especially not Alfred. But I like Alan. I think I like the spelling Allan best.

Alan is definitely not "too crusty". LOL! I think vintage-lovers just tend to want something fancier. Alan sounds calm yet strong to me. I like it.

I actually really love the name Aidan, too, aside from the fact that it has become so popular and overused. I like the fact that you want to use it because of a personal connection you have with the name and not just that "it sounds cool."

I can see why you're having a hard time deciding! I voted for Alan just because it would be refreshing to hear a less trendy name, but I think meaning is important when naming your children. If you have a strong connection with Aidan, by all means use it. I don't think it's right for people to abandon their favorite names just because they become popular.

Aidan is beautiful, but to be frank, I'm sick of hearing it. It just doesn't feel special anymore. I work in schools, and there are several in every class.

Alan is definitely vintage/retro...it would put a smile on my face to meet a little Alan - though I have trouble picturing it on a child! Between the two, I'm definitely voting for Alan! He's certainly be the only one in his class.

What about Alden? Seems like a cross between the sounds of Aidan and Alan, it's super uncommon, and is a little old-manish.