Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Adult Clover?

Hybrid View

Adult Clover?

I am crazy about the name Clover.

I have no problem picturing it on a future daughter of mine, and know of several young Clovers from the interwebs. But I am having a heck of time trying to imagine a 20 or 30 year old (or 50 or 60 year old!) Clover.
    Join me in imagining: A lawyer named Clover. A social worker named Clover. A teacher named Clover. A bus driver named Clover. A police officer named Clover. I don't know why, but my brain kind of shorts out. I know my hypothetical Clover would grow into and embody her name as an adult, but I am wondering if anyone actually knows any older Clovers to put my brain to rest.

What do you think? Good for little girls only?

I have a hard time imagining an adult Clover too. However, if there are a few women around with the name Clover, people will get used to it. Also, being named Clover might not suit a lawyer, but it might be a great stand-out name if your daughter wants to be an actor, singer, real estate agent or go into some other profession where you want people to remember your name. One of the real estate agent's that works around here's name is Bunny Burke. Yes, that's what is on all her signs, and even though I am not planning on buying/selling a house any time soon, I remember her name because it's a bit funny and it's an alliteration.

My suggestion: Name her something like Clover Elizabeth. That way, if she becomes a lawyer, she can be C. Elizabeth Lastname but if she becomes an actress, she can be Clover E. Lastname. And, if she LOVES the name Clover, she can just be Clover no matter what her profession.
    Mommy to John Alexander & 3 furbabies; Maggie the dog, Rex & Bella the wannabe lions

Current favourites: girls -Eliana [Bronwen, Joy, Claire, Irene], Leora [Irene, Bronwen, Bronwyn], Sarah Elise, Anna Charlotte, Adelaide, Phoebe, Kathryn, Elizabeth, Anastasia, Celeste, Astrid, Beatrix, Lucy
    boys: Callum, Arthur [Paul or William], Nathaniel, Samuel, Zachary, Elijah

lilysong, that's great advice! I totally agree. Funnily enough, my middle name is Elizabeth, an honour name passed down from my grandma that I will pass down as well, so hypothetical Clover will most likely be Clover Elizabeth!

I tend towards the slightly conservative side (despite my love of long Greek names) and would be more inclined to like Clover in the middle name slot.

Thing is, if she loves Clover, then going by her middle name is no problem. It's commonly done, at least in my family. But if she finds it embarrassing or dislikes it, then having that in the first name slot ends up being said with a wince... "Yeeeah, my name's Clover Elizabeth, but please just call me Elizabeth."

Quote Originally Posted by brigid16 View Post
    Thing is, if she loves Clover, then going by her middle name is no problem. It's commonly done, at least in my family. But if she finds it embarrassing or dislikes it, then having that in the first name slot ends up being said with a wince... "Yeeeah, my name's Clover Elizabeth, but please just call me Elizabeth."
    Agreed. I tend to lean towards putting an unusual name in the middle spot.