Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Opinions on my characters

I'm writing a futuristic, dystopian novel as they are popular right now. Tell me what you think of these names in the situations.
    1. Clio and Pax, brother and sister from one culture
    2. Oma and Mam- Oma is Clio's grandmother, Mam is her mother. Too similar? Suggestions?
    3. Priya- Clio's friend from another culture
    4. Mordecai the villain and Astor his assistant in a cult

Thanks!
    ~Mehri

I really like all the names, as unhelpful as that is One question: Are the names Oma and Mam their given names or are they the equivalent of calling them grandmother and mother?
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. - Albert Einstein

Girls: Seraphine, Kristabel, Magdalena, Shiloh, Opal, Jobie, Calla, Seeley, Noelle, Mara, Lucille

Boys: Robin, Gabriel, Mackenzie, Nash, Phillip, Raphael, Edmund, Abraham, Lewis, Pierce, Link

Current Crushes: Mackie and Devlin

Clio and Pax feel well-matched to me.
    I think Oma and Mam is perfectly clear. It blends two cultures of today (German Oma, British Mam), which makes it more recognizable.
    Priya is a guilty pleasure of mine. So pretty, but clearly culturally distinct from Clio and Pax.
    Mordecai is an awesome villain name. Astor sounds fine, not as awesome as Mordecai but as a henchman he doesn't have to be.

I think you've done great.

Yep those are good names, though I agree that I hope that's just what the mom and grandmother are called--it would be really strange if those were supposed to be their given names. Like naming your daughter Daughter.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin

I like all of those names a lot. Priya is my all time favorite P- name, and it sounds very Indian to me. In Indian, Priya means Beloved. (by the way) It's obviously from a different culture than the other characters.
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski