Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Indian (Bengali) middle names.....

Okay - so the problem I have is that Indian names said in an English accent sound really wrong and sometimes quite ugly.......So - I am just trying out these ones which I think translate quite well. Are they easy to pronounce? Any preference? Boys seem to be a little easier - Nikhil and Krishan.

Anjali
    Chandra
    Indra
    Indrani
    Nandita
    Nalini
    Chitralekha
    Sudeshna
    Isha
    Anya
    Ananya
    Anouska

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by caspar1; June 11th, 2013 at 07:31 AM.

Any thoughts anyone?

Chitralekha and Sudeshna definitely won't work, in my opinion. They sound a little out-there in English, and they'll definitely be butchered. The former especially has very little chance of being said/spelled right by most anglophone folks.

Anya is the best choice for ease of spelling/pronunciation and cross-cultural use. Chandra should also work fine (one of my parents' friends is named Chandra, and she doesn't seem to have any trouble most of the time), Anjali is pretty common amongst Anglo-Indians in my area and it seems to work pretty well - that might just be because it's common thus familiar, I dunno, and Indra and Isha might be okay too. They're all pretty simple and easy names, so if someone says it wrong the first time, you can correct them and they should pick it up pretty quickly.

I think the prettiest by far is Nalini. It's awesome. Again, it doesn't -seem- too difficult, but I might be saying it wrong. It's a little riskier than, say, Anya, but it's also not too complex. So yeah, it could work.

So to sum up - Anya, Chandra, Anjali, Indra, Isha and maybe Nalini all seem like a good choice. It's best to stay away from Chitralekha etc.

That's my view on it, anyway.

I really like Anjali, Anya and Nalini. They translate very well into English, and I wouldn't even guess that Anya was Indian and not English. I think I'd actually go for Anjali or Nalini, if you want a strong Indian connection.
    Cleo

Thank you - Anjali is a firm favourite and I am really thinking about Nalini now too :-)