Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Using maiden name as a first name: Locke

Children are a few years off, but I'm trying to acclimate my hubby to names that I like now so that he'll be easier to convince later.

My dad is the only boy of all his cousins and he had no sons. As a result, my maiden name, Locke (pronounced LOCK), dies out after this generation. When we married, DH and I considered preserving it by hyphenating/double-barreling our names (both of us, and then also giving the children the new double-barreled name), but decided it had the potential of causing too many problems down the road.

Now I am enamored with the idea of using Locke as a first name for a boy. It would be unusual, but I don't think it's too outlandish, especially with the surname trend that's already caught on. I'd considered using it for the middle name, but I'd really prefer it be more prominent since it's my way of preserving the family name.

So, two questions:

1) What are your thoughts on Locke? We live in the southern US if that makes any difference. Our last name is Estes (properly short 'e', ESS-tess, but often mispronounced EST-iss)
    2) What middle name would you pair with Locke?

Edit: I'm glad you guys seem to think it could work! Another question is how it might fit with sib names. I'm more worried about a brother than a sister. For example, DH's top boy name is Gabriel (Gabe), which is much more flowery than the rough, to-the-point sound of Locke. What would you expect Locke's brother to be called?
    Last edited by labelo; June 10th, 2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Added more questions

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr

1. Locke is an alright name- I think of Lost (wasn't there a character named Locke? I'm not 100% sure) but what makes it special is the meaning. Since it has value to you, I think it works rather well.
    2. Something softer in the middle I think would work with the gruff and manly Locke. Some ideas:
    Locke Henry
    Locke Asher

Sorry for the weak list! Locke is a hard name to pair with!
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

I love surnames as first names when there is significance to them. Locke is a fine name; I'd go for it if you love it!

Quote Originally Posted by aj_bear View Post
    1. Locke is an alright name- I think of Lost (wasn't there a character named Locke? I'm not 100% sure) but what makes it special is the meaning. Since it has value to you, I think it works rather well.
    2. Something softer in the middle I think would work with the gruff and manly Locke. Some ideas:
    Locke Henry
    Locke Asher

Sorry for the weak list! Locke is a hard name to pair with!
    There was! And I'm a LOST fan, so there's some bonus points there. His proper name was John Locke though, he just went by his surname, but perhaps it's set a precedent for it to seem less weird to people if there's a kid running around called Locke.

I think you're on to something with Locke Henry. Love Asher but it is frightfully popular in my circle of friends right now.

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr

I think Locke Estes is fantastic. A more traditional, longer mn would work best.

Locke Benjamin Estes
    Locke Sebastian Estes
    Locke Alexander Estes
    Locke Theodore Estes
    Locke Timothy Estes
    Locke Jeremiah Estes
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.