Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gerrit - could we pronounce it like Garrett?

I found the name Gerrit when searching through the family tree for ideas. My dh's great grandfather came to the US from Holland and his given name was Gerrit. I've looked up how to pronounce it and from what I can tell the appropriate pronunciation sounds somewhat like carrot. The Ger is pronounced with a Kh sound. Do you think we could get away with pronouncing it Garrett? I actually prefer the Dutch spelling but would hate to take away from the name by pronouncing it wrong.

My friend is Dutch and her father is a Gerrit - pronounced with a 'Kheir - it' sound. But he is in Holland but I am not sure if other countries would get it and it would be a situation where you would have to just correct people on pronunciation.

I think unless you're Dutch or have knowledge of the language or names, then Gerrit as being closer to Garrett would be the most common way of attempting to say it. Reading the Ger as a Kher sound isn't instinctive to most English speakers at all.

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

The first person who came over to the US in our family was a Gerrit (i believe thats the spelling) - my brother holds the name Garrett in honor of him GAIR IT is how we pronounce his name.

I don't like the idea of purposefully mispronouncing an ethnic name to make it "easier." It would be like naming your daughter Saoirse and pronouncing it "say-oh-ir-see" or something silly like that. If I came across a Gerrit who pronounced his name as Garrett, I would assume Gerrit was just a misspelling. I would have no idea of the Dutch heritage. In my opinion, when you drop the Dutch pronunciation, you drop the heritage as well.
    Emily • Nineteen • United States
    History student, name nerd, and general geek.
    ♂ | Samuel Edward George Arthur Ezra Gideon James
    ♀ | Jane Helen Anne Cora Phoebe Gwen Catherine