Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I'm going to be completely honest, and I really hope this doesn't come across wrong. Apple is a great name for a 3 year old, but a horrible name for a 30 year old. I don't really think I could take someone seriously named Apple... I feel the same way about most edible names, especially since it seems like sooner or later they end up on the "stripper" list. I teach English to Chinese college students... whenever one says their name is something edible, it gets changed right away (granted, I've had Apple, Lemon, Celery, Cordon bleu, Bacon, Water, Cherry, Cookie, etc.)... One of my biggest concerns for them is how it will come across in the business world, especially since a bad or juvenile English name can actually reflect badly on their English skills. If I met a white Apple, I'd assume their parents were hippies. Apple could be great as a nn or mn... to give something a bit more grown up for the resume/ academia/ business world... As a mn it would give her a lot of control over whether and when to use it. This could be very useful when she's a middle-aged lawyer who wants to command authority and be taken seriously.
    Emiliana Pari (or Valentina Hasti?) Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia
    Camellia Seraphine, Jessamine Ara

thanks for all the support from the ladies telling us to just go for it! I will say since I've talked more to my mom about it she is fully supportive of us doing what makes us happy.

Part of the appeal of a name like Apple is it's sweet, wholesome, and unique. And I don't think the remarks about her suffering as an adult make much sense to me. Maybe because I come from a rural/southern family, and I have family members with legal names ranging from Honey to Minnie to Bud....with that, Apple doesn't seem too strange after all (but maybe just a little to the in-laws). I also know grown women with the names Toody (a successful businesswoman with easily a 6 figure salary) and Poppy, and it hasn't seemed to affect them at all academically or professionally.

My beau and I have very simple names - William and Lauren. I was that stereotype of a child having 3 other kids in her class with my name (and there were only 35 in my whole grade!). I don't want that for my child. I got teased because I had the same name as everyone else, kids are just mean. Apple is nowhere near as bad as a McKinley, Hadley, Jaylee, Brantley, or whatever BS (no offense) EE names people are coming up with nowadays.

At this juncture I think we're gonna go for it! Even if baby number 1 isn't a girl, we'll definitely be saving it for later.

I'm going to be honest but I hope it doesn't come across rude.
    I really dislike Apple as a name. If I met a young girl named Apple I would actually feel pity for he that her parents chose to name her that. Don't get me wrong, Apple is a very sweet and cute name for a young girl but I can't imagine meeting a 40 year old called Apple. I think it also restricts the kind of professions she could have. If I had the choice between a lawyer named Lucille or Apple I would choose Lucille.

Having said all that though you shouldn't let the opinion others, including me, have change your decision. If you think your baby girl meant to be named Apple, name her that!
    Last edited by jazz1509; June 12th, 2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    The 3 Princesses in my life...

Elizabeth Hope
    Annabelle Cadence
    Madeleine Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by tfzolghadr View Post
    I'm going to be completely honest, and I really hope this doesn't come across wrong. Apple is a great name for a 3 year old, but a horrible name for a 30 year old. I don't really think I could take someone seriously named Apple... I feel the same way about most edible names, especially since it seems like sooner or later they end up on the "stripper" list. I teach English to Chinese college students... whenever one says their name is something edible, it gets changed right away (granted, I've had Apple, Lemon, Celery, Cordon bleu, Bacon, Water, Cherry, Cookie, etc.)... One of my biggest concerns for them is how it will come across in the business world, especially since a bad or juvenile English name can actually reflect badly on their English skills. If I met a white Apple, I'd assume their parents were hippies. Apple could be great as a nn or mn... to give something a bit more grown up for the resume/ academia/ business world... As a mn it would give her a lot of control over whether and when to use it. This could be very useful when she's a middle-aged lawyer who wants to command authority and be taken seriously.
    Very well put.
    Zelia/Elja • Nineteen • Name and history nerd from an early age • I have a blog.
    Trying hard to export beautiful old Danish names, magical Danish nature names and exotic Greenlandic names.
    Current favourite combinations: Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Amaury Charles Fyodor • Alexander Adelin Lórien
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia • Matilda Ivalo Galadriel • Gaia Margaret Undómiel

Apple is definately not my style and I would definately think the kids parents where into Ipads or Gwynth Paltrow if I met a girl with that name. That said, your parents and inlaws had their chance at naming kids so what they think doesn't really matter.

I think it is great your are pairing up Apple with the beautiful name Lucille. If your daughter grows up hating her name, she can always use her middle name.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.