Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Well I'm from country Australia and my english countryside knowledge is all from escape to the country and those are from 2008. It looks so pretty all the victorian and older houses and its so much prettier than ours. My advice is to stay close to the city as a country born girl I used to long for the shops and the city. Also I went to a small country school and found it hard as I was the different girl out of three in my year. People always think of it for kids as having an endless backyard but its not we have fences up everywhere and I was always told that we had crocodiles in the dam as did everyone else but of course that doesn't work in england. I grew up with excitement as the CBH trains (containing grain) passed and hated the smell of sheep trucks. Of course it most likely means boarding school or a smaller not too good school.

Just think about it. For you it might work well but I grew up longing for shops and people and I have lived in the country my whole life I spent like six months in the city so its not because its what im used to

Oh and I hate sheep from growing up with them and I noticed you like kangaroos you don't after seeing them everyday on the bus to school (my parents shoot them so that could be why. They eat the crops ok guys)
    Last edited by ebenezer.scrouge; June 13th, 2013 at 12:39 AM.
    ☆Isobel★Eloise☆Matilda★Alice☆Eleanor★ Amelia☆ Elena★Mirabel☆ Felicity★Phoebe ☆Eilidh ★Rosalia☆Roisin★Azalea☆Elsa★Arabella☆ Genevieve★Elodie☆Tallulah★Ruby☆
    ★☆★
    ☆Eamon★Tiago☆Cooper★Jack☆Jago★Flynn☆ Archer★Lincoln☆Asher★Alfie☆Taylor★Baxter ☆Finnian★Lawson☆Jasper★Lewis ★Oscar☆Fletcher★Caspian☆Miller★
    babynameobsessed.worpress.com

I am Australia too and just for the record those re-runs of Escape to the Country are quite good!

I grew up in a semi-rural town. When I was little there were so many horse farms and olive plantations around my area. It was twenty to thirty minutes from our state's capital; but in so many ways it felt idealistic. At our first home we lived of a main road that had a deli and there was a large paddock a few meters away. It was always so exciting to go walking there with my dad and we'd pat the cows, one in particular that we called "Daisy" (predictable, I know.) I was always excited to go get $2.00 worth of boiled lollies or rent a movie. On the other hand, I can remember seeing foxes hiding in the long grass, and playing in those fields. Heck, our suburb still had a country fire service! There were so many horse farms and many of our friends owned horses so we got to ride a fair bit. We moved house when I was seven, about five or ten minutes away from our first home, it was a dead end street with a reserve at the bottom. For me growing up that reserve served as a backdrop for some of my cousins, brother and I's best adventures. We'd play Narnia down there, enjoy picnics and take dips in the creek (or the Beck as I started to call it because I thought that sounded cooler .) After a while most of the farms in our area where sold off for housing developments, besides those near the race course. It really upset because I'd always felt like that was part of what made our town. Our settlers had brought a mill, the sheep, the horses, the foxes and I was sad that it was all going away.

As a bit of a bonus, my parents took us to the beach virtually every year, we were always at the beach. Mostly because my parents loved it. But we went away to the beach in the country all the time, I got to run around with tangled curls and sit by firelight enjoying marshmallows, or laying out underneath the stars. We still do those trips to the beach and I fight tooth and nail now to make sure I can tag along. I didn't used to appreciate the drive when I was younger; but now I do. The sleepy towns, the salty air and the freedom of just roaming around. I still live by the creek now and have to travel into the city for university, I still have a great appreciation for both lifestyles, but I like the fact that catching the train into the city has always been exciting. It's not something we ever did everyday. A trip to the big city was terribly exciting, as was going to the movies.

I plan to move to the country, sell Christmas trees, have a ranch with horses and some little ones. In the particular area I want to move to there is no train, just a bus service so that could be interesting! Maybe its just because that's how my ancestors live and in a way I feel like I am closer to them. But I think the country leaves a lasting impact on you!
    Last edited by sodallas3; June 15th, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

'Jess' Jessica Emily Faith
    Living down under...
    Australian/German/South African/Scottish/English/Irish/Romani
    Elsa: Mystical, magical, completely unique, baffling and all her own

Ronan: Spicy, little boys wearing plaid shirts, running around in kneeless jeans, playing in the mud and being mischievous.
    Other considerations
    Mary Belle - Conrad - Elaina/Elena? - Jonas

Well, my husband and I just moved from London to Sussex. We don't have children yet, but I can say some of the great/not so great things about country living, although a lot of them have been answered already.

It can sometimes feel a bit lonely, as in, hard to find people your own age. (young, I mean.) Sometimes I miss the museums and night-life of London. I also miss stores staying open later than 5pm (bit of a shock the first night when we went to buy food and the store was closed! at 6 pm!) and the ease of public transport in London. Even though there are obviously trains and buses (and some pretty close to our house), it's more expensive than London and not so easy to use. Lots of changing and walking involved in most trips.

But I also really love it here. I've always preferred living in the countryside, I think. I love being surrounded by green. It really just cheers me up, and I can never feel too depressed or upset. I love going for walks and I love being able to easily find forests and grass and wildflowers. I like coming across animals. I like how friendly people usually are when you meet them in small shops or out walking. I like feeling as though the air is clean, and I like being able to walk outside and be alone. I love the idea of raising children who ramble about in fields and wearing Wellies. Oh, and I like the space we have...not just outside, but inside, too. We're renting, not buying, but it's so much cheaper and bigger and nicer than what we could afford in London! I say thumbs up to moving out to the countryside, definitely
    Lucy & Hazel & Nora & Alice & Sophie
    Henry & Rowan & Milo & Oliver & Ezra