Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Well, where to begin...

Life down 'ere: You know I'm down in Cornwall and I'll preface by giving you a few of the negatives of living down here. A lot of the people I grew up with were all for leaving the county at the earliest opportunity as, being the urban party animals that they are, they found everything 'boring'. The only other downsides I can think of are that you don't get as many of the big shops & businesses down here (never really bothered me), you'll spend half your life stuck in a car behind tractors, you'll probably end up with a row of mobiles on your window sill as phone signals here aren't great and if you need to travel up 'north' (aka anywhere over the Tamar), you'll be driving for a fair while. Now for the good aspects!

I believe I live in the most beautiful place on the planet and I'm so lucky! I cannot see myself ever living in a city and I never go on holiday- that's how much of a pull this place has on me. I just love it. Cornwall, despite what you hear about inbreds, emmets and the like, is bleddy fantastic! You have hundreds of beaches to choose from- you have arguments over which one to go to! There are big clean beaches full of attractions & tourists or secret seaweedy coves that only you discover. I'm very much a beachy sea person and I spend half my life down on the south coast which is my summertime playground. I NEVER get bored! If I'm not swimming, beaching or playing beach-cricket, I'm kayaking up the little creeks, crabbing, collecting shells, exploring the rocks & caves, going on long walks over the cliffs or just chilling and absorbing it all. When it's busy and exciting during the summer, there's a brilliant atmosphere, especially at the regattas. Fireworks, laughter, good company, the sea lapping the shore and the old boys singing 'Trelawney' in the pubs at the tops of their voices- definitely my fav time of year

Anyway, enough of me waxing lyrical about the coast. There are plenty of other good bits. I love that, where I am at least, people all know each other. Even if you don't know them they'll smile and say hello or hold doors open etc, which I notice doesn't happen so much in cities. I also love that I can sit outside at night and see a black sky with all the stars twinkling there, and not hear a thing (except the odd owl). Autumn/winter is a great time. I think of the moors then, and going for long, leafy, muddy, windy walks (prepare for mud!). I like it when it's really foggy and dark on the moors- I call it 'Charlotte Dymond' weather (ever hear about her?). Creepy! A favourite walk of mine is right by the river and it winds though woods all the way to a train station (really exciting when we were little!)

As for animals- yes there are lots to make friends with. Wild sheep and horses on the moors, rabbits in the country lanes. Loads of cows (they used to break into our school field). Sheep on the road is a valid excuse for being late anywhere! In the summer we sometimes get dolphins and seals in the harbours. And as for picnics, dog walking and sex... I've had a gazillion picnics! I'm really not a fan of dogs (great environment for them, but they do tend to ruin paths, beaches etc with their... business) and I'm willing to bet -with the more relaxed lifestyle- that people are getting it on a lot more

Other bits I love: grass growing in the middle of the road, proper pasties, old engine houses, country houses & gardens, steam trains, hands being rough and dirty after climbing trees all day, ancient castles, rowing boats tugging at their painters, the evening light...

Children: tis a bleddy great place to bring 'em up! In the little villages, all the kids know each other and most get on, in my experience. Local schools are good in that I still know most of the people I went to preschool with! It's brilliant but we still got really bored at times. I was allowed out to play with friends on our own from the age of about 7 though. I never felt unsafe or threatened.

Wow, have I rambled! This is probably way too much info. Anyway, I'm ever so slightly biased but I reckon it's the best life and a brilliant place to bring up children. I'm not a kid anymore but there are still a thousand places for me to explore and I'm still having loads of fun! Whichever part of the countryside you go to I'm sure you'll love it
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Really sorry- I appear to have written an essay! :s
    William ♠ Thomas ♠ Peter ♠ Henry ~ Rose ♠ Alice ♠ Ivy ♠ Lowenna
    Mowesi ~ Henwyn Kernewek ~ Mebyon

Mmk. Totally want to move to Cornwall now. I am le jealous.
    Last edited by renrose; June 10th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.

Thanks you wonderful ladies! I'm too tired to reply properly, just had to say: C&P; can you please be my daughter? Reading your essay was like looking into the future of how I hope Dita will be! Thanks so much for writing all of that!!!! (I was hoping you'd reply as you always seem so happy out there.)
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

ottilie how wonderful to be moving to the countryside. You mustn't take any notice of your friends with their dire predictions and comments about living in the countryside.

About 12 years ago I moved to the seaside, and yes my friends were totally unsupportive of me at the time. However it wasn't long the same friends were wistfully wishing that they had my lifestyle, they even looked at buying property here!

The most important thing you can do is to listen to your heart.
    We have a village atmosphere, million dollar views and we are only about an hour from Sydney; so we have it all!

I am a huge "Escape to Country" fan and the English countryside is so beautiful. So choose a warm, cosy house with lots of windows for the sunshine to shine through.

Please don't choose a house where everyone has to duck their heads because the ceilings are so low that you live in fear of a good size knock on the head.

Enjoy the move I am sure it will be perfect for you.

rollo xx
    Last edited by rollo; June 13th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.