Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Hermione - unusable?

Tossed this one out to my husband and he seemed completely flabbergasted. The name is so linked to Harry Potter in his mind that he can't imagine naming a child Hermione.

I'm a HP fan myself, but I also love that it's uncommon, has cool classical and ecclesiastical roots (I'm a classicist enrolled in a graduate theology program), has a sweet and somewhat uncommon nickname (Minnie) and is now (for the most part) correctly pronounced thanks to HP. That said, there are several names I like better and would definitely use first, so it's more an intellectual exercise at this point.

So be honest - do you think that Harry Potter has claimed Hermione and made it unusable? If so, how long until you think it will "safe" to use once more?
    Last edited by labelo; June 10th, 2013 at 08:02 PM. Reason: grammar

Laura & Derek

Beatrix - Camille/a - Eleanor (Lena) - Isla - Lila - Leonie - Margot
    Arthur - Clark - Gabriel - Graham - Locke/Lachlan - Shepherd

Guilty Pleasures:
    Andromeda - Lúthien - Vesper - Zephyr

I definitely think it's usable, but I do think you'd need to be prepared for the "Oh, are you a big Harry Potter fan?" comments. While HP mania may have died down some in the past few years, I don't think the book series itself is going anywhere; I think it will become a classic work of children's literature that each new generation of kids discovers.

Sorry to be the outlier here, but I agree with your husband. I don't think it's usable, not only because of HP, but also because it's such an unusual name.

I'm with miche and your husband- it's totally unusable, mainly because of Harry Potter. I think namenerds are so surrounded by names like Ariadne and Zephyr that Hermione doesn't seem so out there, but for the general public it's definitely too weird. If you don't believe me, put your name in as "Hermione" at a restaurant- I've done it and the looks I get are pretty strange. I wouldn't want to have to deal with that for my entire life!

Absolutely, I think it's usable. I don't understand why linking the character to a book would make it off-limits. And as characters go, Hermione Granger is a fine "role model."
    Silas ~ Gideon ~ Lincoln ~ Ezekiel ~ Malachi ~ Samuel ~ Ezra ~ Charlie ~ Gabriel ~ Elliott
    Maisie ~ Sophie ~ Naomi ~ Willa ~ Evangeline ~ Freya ~ Vivienne ~ Nora ~ Josephine ~ Daphne