Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Calla Miette?

I LOVE Calla! It's a gorgeous name and the personal associations with your grandmother are lovely. I'm sorry, but I'm not as fond of Miette. What about Mielle? It's sounds similar and means honey. It's one of my favorite French names and I think Calla Mielle is very very pretty.
    Noora
    Mom to Rusha, Tarek, and Naseem

Miette is a little overly precious to me. It turns an elegant and regal Calla into a princessy affair. But maybe that's because I live near San Francisco and there is a sort of famous bakery there called Miette. Calla Miette feels very cupcakey to me, but maybe that's because of my regional context. Blade gave a lot of great French names to consider. Sandrine is really awesome if you want something unusual.
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

Calla is gorgeous, not really a fan of Miette. Especially the meaning... I would want my name to mean crumb. But it's your choice, overall. I think Odette or Helene would sound much much better.
    Shealah
    Teenberry, name loving girl.
    xo

Favorites:
    Lucy, Madeline, Caroline, Kylie, Bryn, Audrey/Aubrey, & Sierra
    Eli, Caden, Camden, Riley and Caleb

Guilty Pleasures:
    Clementine & Tiara

I have to agree with many of the other posters. Calla is a lovely name, but I don't really like Miette with it, sorry. I don't think the two names together have the best sound, and the word in french is just crumb - there are no sweet or beautiful connotations to the word in french.

But again, Calla is a really beautiful name, and how nice that it will be linked to your grandmother. I think you can find a much more lovely french name to go with it, if that is what you're looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowfinch View Post
    Miette is a little overly precious to me. It turns an elegant and regal Calla into a princessy affair. But maybe that's because I live near San Francisco and there is a sort of famous bakery there called Miette. Calla Miette feels very cupcakey to me, but maybe that's because of my regional context. Blade gave a lot of great French names to consider.
    Yes, this. I live in San Francisco. I read a lot of food blogs, and the bakery has a lot of fans in the baking world.

I suppose it is a middle name, and no one has to hear it, and yet - I wouldn't want it as a middle for myself as a grown woman.
    tea drinker + cat lover + ever-evolving baker+cook...positive realist who loves beautiful words, names, and images.

Feel free to ask me about Sanskrit-based names.