Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I definitely don't think it's a problem. When kids first learn to spell/write their names, they usually only know the names of the letters, not the sounds. By the time he's learning letter sounds and starting to read, it's time to introduce the concept of silent letters anyway.

There's even a Dr. Suess book

"X is very useful if your name is Nixie Knox..."

I've thought about this kind of in a different way, in the sense of having a nickname not sharing the same first initial as the full version of the name. (tangent warning) It's silly but what do people who go by their nn do with monograms, especially if the nn isn't an obvious one (ie 'Emmy' for Clementine). Wouldn't kids give them a hard time?)

Anyway, sorry to digress.
    I think the easy way to explain a silent letter is by teaching other words that go with it, as someone suggested (knock, knee, know,...) and that it is possible he'll have a headstart on grasping the concept because of his own name (omg, I almost wrote 'kname'.... So, ok, it won't be TOTALLY straightforward and easy..... Hahaha, but he'll be fine).
    It's much better to have an accepted name with hard to explain (teach to a kid) spelling, than a common name with unconventional spelling (alexys), or overtly phonetic interpretations of names (maduhlynn, for example), which I think are just awful! Or even worse, the phonetic names that aren't actually phonetic according to the rules of English, but the mom liked (oh, say) two S's in Lisa, and now the girl is called Lissa. But it's Lisa.
    Last edited by anotherkate; June 10th, 2013 at 08:34 PM.

Knox is fine. If you work with him, he'll be able to write his name before be starts really digging into letter-sound correlations. By that time, it will be a rote task - something he's able to do without thinking too much about it. If it ever were to come up, you could just tell him that his name is special and doesn't follow the normal spelling "rules." He can hang on to that until he's able to grasp the concept of silent letters.
    One Beloved Son - Raphael David
    Saved for Later:
    Rosemary, Eve, Lorena, Georgia, Theodora, Fawn
    Ignatius, Lionel, Thaddeus, Laszlo, Casper, Leopold

Knox plays by English rules, so I don't have any problem with it. I wouldn't think that Silent K is any more difficult than teaching your kid that the "PH" in his name says "F." Nobody bats an eye at names like Stephanie and Christopher and Joseph. I say use Knox!