Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Naming a child with a silent first letter

My hubs and I love the name Knox for a boy. My problem is not knowing how to teach a child how to write their name with a silent first letter. I also realize that that is a small window of time in the course of one's life. It's probably on my mind because teaching kiddos how to write their name is the stage of life I've been in for a couple years now. Anyway, what are your thoughts?

IMO, the name Knox is a very nice nn to use later on, but not a great first, for these reasons exactly. It could be used in the middle space, and it flows well with many names. To get the nn Knox, you could use any name with an n and an o, so it is best left as a nickname.
    ~Mehri

I don't think it's a problem. Plenty of names have silent letters, if not in the first spot. My daughter's name is Adeline, and she is just beginning to try to write it/sound out words, and I have to explain the whole silent "e" on the end, which makes the "i" a long "i" sound...so there is potential for confusion in all kinds of names, regardless of whether or where the silent letters lie. I wouldn't let it affect my choosing a name I truly loved, since it is such a short season of time that it would confuse them, and ime it is easily explained, even to a very young child ("Oh, some letters in words are just silent - they are there but we don't pronounce them").

I think there's a difference between Knox where KN is a common consonant cluster in the English language where it's a simplified sound to N, and naming him Jnox where the J is silent.
    Knox makes sense in the English language. I wouldn't worry. When you're teaching him to spell his name by rote when he's 3 or 4, he's not going to call you out about the spelling.
    Lucia
    Seraphine, Jemima, Leonor, Seffora, Eulalia
    Edmund, Marius, Joscelin, Earnest, Caspar

I wouldn't let the silent letter stop you from using a great name. "Kn" making the "N" sound is fairly common so you could always give him examples of other words that start with "Kn" - Knight, Knife, Knowledge, Knock, Knee, Knuckles. He'll probably catch on how to spell these words faster than other children because he can make a connection to them.
    Family Names: Clara, Elaine, Elenia, Mable; Gable, Glenn, Harley, Victor, Waldo
    My Favorites: Carolina, Eleanor, Josephine; August, Jasper, Oliver
    GPs: Amaryllis, Avelaine, Elenna ;Alexei, Bertram, Eugene