Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I've read the books AND watch the show, and I didn't notice the connection until you pointed it out.

Even though the lion is the sigil of House Lannister, the lion is a historic, cultural, and literary symbol world over. I do see that a true, super book nerd (that I count myself as one) who had need of tact possibly pointing it out to you, but you can always say "Well, I didn't name him Joffery/Petyr/Illyn/Tywin/Walder/Greggor..." etc.

I love that you want to name a daughter Sansa! She's one of my favorite POV, and I find the general fandom's lack of appreciation for her a little disheartening.

Personally, I'm just as obsessed with ASOIAF's names as I am with real world names.

habert: Oh, I could so sympathize with you on the lack of appreciation. I don't know if you've ever made it over to the Westeros.org forums, but it's especially divided in fan opinion there. I am a nerd for the books, big time. Specifically with Sansa, I identify with her story a lot as there was a time in my life when I was younger that I felt very in the midst of chaos as she was in her time of imprisonment in King's Landing.

GRRM uses a lot of great names. So many that I'd like to use a lot, but I'll restrain myself xD
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

Quote Originally Posted by sansa_nanami View Post
    habert: Oh, I could so sympathize with you on the lack of appreciation. I don't know if you've ever made it over to the Westeros.org forums, but it's especially divided in fan opinion there. I am a nerd for the books, big time. Specifically with Sansa, I identify with her story a lot as there was a time in my life when I was younger that I felt very in the midst of chaos as she was in her time of imprisonment in King's Landing.

GRRM uses a lot of great names. So many that I'd like to use a lot, but I'll restrain myself xD
    It's very upsetting that some readers don't have sympathy for an eleven year old hostage in a very abusive situation. I find Westeros.org to be generally the most appalling when it comes to discussing female characters. I love towerofthehand.com!

Yes, some of my favorite names that I would consider: Jorah, Jeor, Brienne, Trystane, Doreah, Doran, Jeyne, and Sansa! There are others, I change my mind constantly, haha!

For some reason, I always thought the name Kevin a bit boring and a "my old man" kind of name. But spelled Kevan and attached to Kevan Lannister, and suddenly it transforms to a very usable name! It's funny how that works.

Another one that's been floating around my brain lately is Damaris, which bears much similarity to the Mother of Dragons. I think it's probably not do-able, sadly. Jorah, Brienne, Doreah, Doran, I all like. I agree about Kevan, though I am drawn also because my "brother" has that name ("" = old childhood friend). Some other names that bear mention... Arya (ahead of the trend, GRRM!), Brandon (though it's dated to most people), Eddard "Ned", Asha/Ashara, Theon, Sandor I like in a weird way.. it'd be neat as a short form of Alexander perhaps. Jaime and Robb are common-sounding names that I never liked until I picked up the books. I like Circe, but Cersei has ruined it for me by a mile.

And, I think that's it? Probably not. His character indexes at the back of each novel are a name lover's dream!

Edit: Ah, Davos. Though I am iffy as before the show came on, I was saying it dave-o's. Prefer the dah-vos they have going on, I must say.
    Last edited by sansa_nanami; June 10th, 2013 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added one
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

Oh, I can't believe I forgot Davos! Because I love Davos. I love love love him. Most of my friends who I turned on to the books do not understand my love for him. They are like "Oh, he's cool I guess" and I'm just head-over-heels for him. What can I say? We don't get to choose who we love.

So, yes, Davos is definitely on the table for me for future children, although I might be partial for it to be a MN. But Davos is definitely my kind of style for names, AND I love the character.

So, long story short, I think you're awesome to be considering Sansa so seriously.