Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Arwen?

I could never use it. It's like naming your baby Luke Skywalker. I mean, it's a cool name, but everyone will ALWAYS ask "so, are your parents big Tolkein fans?" It's pretty, to be sure, but you can't split the connotation. There's a singer named Eowyn and it works for her, but I'm sure she always got asked about it. For some people, it's a huge plus to name their kid after something they love, and I get that (my favorite name for a girl is Lucy as in Narnia) but Arwen pretty much ONLY has one connotation in American society so you would always get it. There are LOTS of great -wen names out there that I would suggest instead.

Here are a few:
    Arianwen
    Anwen
    Bronwen
    Elowen
    Eirwen (came up today in another thread)
    Tegwen (I know one)
    Names I enjoy:

Girls: Lucy, Elena, Lake, Sylvie

Boys: Jack, Eamon, Sylvan, Theo

Photo by Corey Arnold

I love Arwen! It's on my long list, so I understand your attraction to it. The name does have the LOTR connection, but Arwen is a strong and beautiful character, inside and out. She's a lovely namesake to have if you don't mind the occasional person pointing out the obvious by asking, "Do you like Lord of the Rings, then?"

Too LOTR for me, but definitely wearable and lovely. Pretty much all -wen names are great imo.
    There's also Anwen, which is more neutral.

I like Arwen.

My friend has a baby names Arwen, at first I wasn't a big fan but now I think it's a pretty name!

favorite names this week: Aviva🌻 Alaric