Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

To save a name for a future sister... or not?

I am not sure if anyone else has faced this question, but I thought I'd ask for opinions. When you say, have two girl names that you adore, would you be inclined to use them together for your firstborn daughter, or would you use one and save the other in case you have another little miss in future?

Feel free to explain in detail.
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

When we were naming our daughter, we were choosing between a few names that were all derived from Mary (Molly, Moira, Maura) and we also liked the name Lucy. We ended up choosing Maura and giving her the middle name Lucille after my grandmother, which essentially took all of the names off the table. I'm not sure Maura and Lucy (and Patrick, the son my husband is hoping for!) would have made that great of a sibset anyway, so it's not a big deal. We need another Irish name.

I understand the impulse both ways. You want to be able to use the names you love in case you never have another daughter, but you also don't want to end up pregnant with little girl #2 and have nothing to name her because you gave the only good names to your first born. Honestly, though, I doubt that will happen. There will be other names.

I am in a weirdly reversed situation- this hoped for baby will almost definately be the last so I keep trying to make favourite names mesh because I know this is my last chance! LOL
    Sometimes two first names don't match together anyway- I guess it depends on what the names are.
    One comment I'd make though is that by the time you have another girl/ if you have another girl you may evolve and like a different names anyway.
    So if they match, I think perhaps use them.
    Phoebe Eliza Grace arrived after 2 Years of IVF

thatkathryngirl: It is hard to think of having a second girl and not being satisfied with any names for her. I have a supremely tough time getting attached to girls' names. I can like some, but I don't get that feeling of "Yes, this is something I'd absolutely use" as I do with boy names. I wish I had more confidence it would work out. Though, your answer does make me feel a bit better about the prospect.

emiliaj: Good luck on naming your last little one! There's another situation I don't envy, because I can totally picture the difficulty in it. My names thankfully do "flow" so if I can buck up a bit, it would work out.
    moving to new account with username I like more... since we can't just change them

I wouldn't if the two names sounded great together, because chances are your opinion of what your favourite name is will change in between this one and the next baby!

I know mine have changed every time - the names I considered with my first aren't the ones I considered with my second and none of the ones I considered with the other two is in my mind now.