Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    @emmabobemma-Wow! Thanks so much. Very helpful, especially with our mn references. I appreciate the distinction of mns, depending on which one we decide to use.
    @kjhall- Thanks for sharing. I sort of think I would feel the same way if I had a nn/full name myself.
    @sparrowfinch- I love the name Kate. I agree that Kate is professional sounding and can stand alone. Thanks for sharing your feelings on your name. I appreciate it and our daughter will reap the benefits!
    @taz- Yes, I'm leaning that way too. I appreciate your response.

Personally, I think that if you want her to be exclusively called Margo, you should use Margo. You can only control nicknames for so long, and since there are so many possibilities for Margaret, it will ultimately be her choice to decide which one she prefers. I'm a Margaret myself, and I rejected ANY nicknames for ages and refused to answer to Marg, Margie, or Marge. I never got Margo, except from a childhood friend's dad who used to call me Margot Fonteyn, which I still think is cute). Then at 19, I decided to go by Maggie. (Although unlike your friend Katie/Kate/Katherine, I care if my old friends still call me Margaret; life's too short to get annoyed by these little things!)

FWIW, I don't think Margo sounds unprofessional name at all, and it's less common than Margaret. I've only known one Margaux, and she's my step-cousin, although in truth I also know very few Margarets that are my age and none under the age of 25. I do prefer the spelling Margot or Margaux, though there's certainly nothing wrong with Margo.
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Margo stands alone just fine, and works for a child or adult. If Margo is the name you love, just go with Margo.

I would go with just Margo, you can't control what nickname she goes by forever if you go with Margaret. Margo is great ona child but works just as well on a professional woman and is a stand alone name in my opinion.

favorite names this week: Jane Cosima & Lars Augustus

Yes, Margo is a great stand-alone name. If that's what you love, go with it.

I've never heard of someone being really upset by someone using different nn's as they age, seems like a relatively normal thing to me. But if you only ever call her Margo, unless she's really free-spirited and wants to branch out I doubt she'll ever use anything else.

But honestly, I think going by a new nickname is probably one of the safest and healthiest forms of rebellion. It allows you to spread your wings, make choices/control your life, try out new 'personalities' without covering yourself in tattoo or piercings. Just my two cents.
    Olivia/Livia/Livy/Liv : Thessaly/Darah/Bethel : Noelle/Eve
    Benedict/Eli: Jude/Zane: Luke/Darius : Levi/Phineas/Calvin