Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Anyway. I don't think it works with the 'care-iss' pronunciation as there's no 'care' sound in Caroline. You'd have to say it 'KAH-riss', the way Carys is traditionally pronounced, for it to make sense.
    I've always pronounced Caroline as "Care-o-line". Maybe this is a regional thing?
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell

Quote Originally Posted by teacherma View Post
    I've always pronounced Caroline as "Care-o-line". Maybe this is a regional thing?
    Ooh weird. That's definitely a new one on me! Caroline here is 'KAH-ruh-line'

http://www.forvo.com/word/caroline/#en << Listen to the guy from Spain. Sounds like an ex-pat Brit to me. That's how we say it. The Swedish girl says it like us too, and some of the US entries.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

I hear what you are saying, Renrose. I think those pronunciations would be how I would say Caroline in a rushed voice. My pronunciation is closer to the user Cress123. (I guess I didn't transcribe the -o- correctly, it's slightly voiced much like what you hear in that clip, I sometimes say it as -uh-, -ah-, or -oh-, but all would be recognized as the same.) I live in Western PA in the US in a very small town that has a recognizably weird accent compared to people from larger surrounding cities, in addition to somehow older pronunciations (or words that came from my great-grandmother) that managed to stay preserved in my family. Ex. Zinnia is said ZEEN-ya for us. I only learned the standard pronunciation a few years ago. *blush*
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell