Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    Anyway. I don't think it works with the 'care-iss' pronunciation as there's no 'care' sound in Caroline. You'd have to say it 'KAH-riss', the way Carys is traditionally pronounced, for it to make sense.
    I've always pronounced Caroline as "Care-o-line". Maybe this is a regional thing?
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell

Quote Originally Posted by teacherma View Post
    I've always pronounced Caroline as "Care-o-line". Maybe this is a regional thing?
    Ooh weird. That's definitely a new one on me! Caroline here is 'KAH-ruh-line'

http://www.forvo.com/word/caroline/#en << Listen to the guy from Spain. Sounds like an ex-pat Brit to me. That's how we say it. The Swedish girl says it like us too, and some of the US entries.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

I hear what you are saying, Renrose. I think those pronunciations would be how I would say Caroline in a rushed voice. My pronunciation is closer to the user Cress123. (I guess I didn't transcribe the -o- correctly, it's slightly voiced much like what you hear in that clip, I sometimes say it as -uh-, -ah-, or -oh-, but all would be recognized as the same.) I live in Western PA in the US in a very small town that has a recognizably weird accent compared to people from larger surrounding cities, in addition to somehow older pronunciations (or words that came from my great-grandmother) that managed to stay preserved in my family. Ex. Zinnia is said ZEEN-ya for us. I only learned the standard pronunciation a few years ago. *blush*
    "Don't try to be modern, it's the most old-fashioned thing there is," - Attilio, The Tiger and the Snow

Domenico/Dominic, Gianfranco/Gianpaolo, Giacomo, Antonio, Raphael, Calogero, Leopold, Angelo, Giorgio, Alban, Malachi, Dante, Mirek, Dario, Lionel, Asa
    Katarina/Caterina, Irena, Silvia, Aniela, Delfina, Raffaella, Apollonia, Cecilia, Pasqualina, Rosalind/Rosina, Josephine, Allegra, Alba, Leokadia, Annunziata, Bronya, Adrasteia, Vincenza, Althea, Eurydice, Regina, Mirella, Arianell