Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Will Aurora go top 10?

Hi all,

I was wondering about everyone's gut feelings about the name Aurora. It's on DH's and my short list for our yet-to-be-conceived baby, but I'm curious if it will keep climbing meteorically or if it has more or less settled/peaked in the medium popular 100-200 range on the SSA lists. We'd probably still use it even if it was top 50, but I'm interested if anyone has any predictions/insights/intuition about it.

Other names we like are Penelope, Rosie, and Clementine. DH loves Clover. I love Annabel but DH had a difficult roommate by that name so it's out, sadly.

What do you guys think of the top 10 potential for Penelope or Annabel in the future? I feel like Penelope will ultimately be held back by the "pee" ending, despite being a Kardashian, and Annabel by its multiple spellings. (Though I could see Annabel being like Madeline and ending up very high on the list when they are all tallied.)

My guesses for eventual top 10 status include Charlotte, Avery, Harper, Aubrey (unless Aubree splits the tally too much), Amelia...not sure what others. Maybe Lila.

Sorry...this post kind of went all over the place! Insights, anyone?

P.S.-- I guess I wonder about Aurora becoming a top 10 hit because of its similarity (to my ear) to names like Sophia and Olivia. Sophia in particular because they share Ancient Greco-Roman roots and gentle vintage style.

I also like Athena from that category.

I don't think Aurora will ever be in the top 10, I do think it will settle as you've said in the 100-200 range. I think it's a bit princess-y for most people, and from what I've seen from forums, some people seem to have trouble pronouncing it? Plus there was the shooting in Aurora, Colorado, but I'm not sure if that's turned any people off of it.
    Favourites at the moment ♥

Leah, Scarlett, Sophie, Claire, Vivian, Madeleine, Evangeline, Selena, Gillian, Nina, Mila, Heidi, Isla, Hazel, Annabelle, Lydia, Celia, Violet, Genevieve
    Elias, Eli, Dominic, Thatcher, Graham, Noel, Nolan, Chase, Mattias, Dean, Cole, Blake, Daniel, Ash, Rhys, Julian, Callum, Kieran, Aidan, Ronan

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    I don't think that Aurora will hit the top 10. It might climb higher, but not much, I think. It's a pretty name, but I think it's kind of a mouthful for some people. I love Penelope and Clementine too. Annabel is nice, but if you're worried about popularity, I think it might be up there with all the "belle" names. What about Annabeth? It's familiar, but not even in the top 1000.
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

Aurora is mine and my DBF's favorite name too and I really don't see it being in the top ten. I do think that Penelope and Annabel are going to keep skyrocketing, though I'd be a little surprised to see them in the top 10.