• VAIR-ah

19 24.68%
  • VEER-ah

57 74.03%
  • Other (please explain below!)

1 1.30%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

How do you say Vera?

Options in the poll above. While we're at it, what are you're thoughts on the name? I'm really loving the sound of VARE-ah/VAIR-ah, but not so much VEER-ah (I'm not sure I like how Vera looks, either). I've never really thought that Vera was my thing, but I do love the VAIR-ah sound, and am sort of playing around with it, seeing if I find something that appeals. Vera as a MN, maybe, or Verity nn Vera...

Thanks, ladies!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

I instinctively say veer-ah because of Vera Bradley but I prefer more so the Vair-ah pronunciation because I'm a Latinist and I think of veritas. So the "ver" in "very" sound. Beautiful name.

I automatically say VEER-a. If I knew it was a nickname for Verity, however, I'd probably say VEH-ra, closer to the pronunciation you like.

I say it Veer-ah. If you like the Vair-ah sound what about Farrah?

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names

Lol wow... At first I thought this was such an obvious question, then i started thinking about it!
    I say closer to 'veer-a' most of the time but do say it the other way too.
    If you like the shorter e sound I would still use it if you can know/accept that some people will draw out the first syllable, even if you don't.
    Just thinking of my mom (her accent is very confused), i KNOW she'd say it one way and be absolutely unable to change the way she said it. That sort of thing would annoy me since she is such a close relative and likely using the name often. If she had a more perceptive ear to pick up on the difference, it wouldn't bother me (assuming I did have only one preferred pronunciation, which I guess I don't for Vera!)