Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Margo, getting too popular??

Hi Berries,
    I might be freaking out for no reason, BUT I've already given up two different girl names that I LOVED because of popularity issues (Lillian, which was my grandmother's name, and Eleanor, which was also a family name.) My husband grew up with a super popular first name and refuses to condemn our children to the same fate. We are currently ttc and the girl name we are concentrating on is Margaret, nn Margo. I just realized that Despicable Me, part 2 movie is coming out this summer and one of the adorable kids is named Margo. Do I have anything to be concerned about, or am I just being overly paranoid? Thanks for your input.

P.S. Our guiding principle is we try to avoid all first names being in the top 100. We are also super traditional, in terms of naming, so it is a tricky line to walk.

P.P.S. We come from a very large family, so Margo is the only nn we will consider for Margaret. If it isn't Margo, then we will give up Margaret too and move on to something else (SIGH) again.

Well I certainly hear Margo all the time here on Nameberry, but I personally have never met one. I, however, do know 3 Maragret's. One goes by Maggie, and other 2 go by Margaret, and I've heard of quite a few more. So to me Margaret is more common than Margo.
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Margo isn't the top 1000, so I think its far from the top 100.
    tea drinker + cat lover + ever-evolving baker+cook...positive realist who loves beautiful words, names, and images.

Feel free to ask me about Sanskrit-based names.

I think it depends on where you live. I'm in midwestern US, and only met one Margo, who is my mom's 40-something year old friend. I know only adult Margarets, such as two of my grandmothers. I never met a Lillian or an Eleanor either..

but going back to Margo, I think you will be fine with it..
    Currently liking:

Girls: Lydia Jeanette, Leah Christine, Aria Quinn, Anna Ruby

Boys: Asa Vincent, Peter Eliot, Anthony Nicholas, Paul Gregory, Luke Mackenize

Thinking about:
    Viva Lux, Luca Daniel, Lorenzo "Enzo", Adah Marie

Margaret is popular, but I don't think Margo is. I'm a substitute teacher and I've only met 1 Margo in my entire life, and she's my age. It may gain some popularity due to the movie character, but I definitely don't think it's going to all of a sudden become so popular that there will be another one in your child's class in school.