Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Name Johnny

I think Johnny is fine as a given name, but John nn Johnny is a good alternative if you have concerns. And Jack could also be used as a nickname for John.
    Silas ~ Gideon ~ Lincoln ~ Ezekiel ~ Malachi ~ Samuel ~ Ezra ~ Charlie ~ Gabriel ~ Elliott
    Maisie ~ Sophie ~ Naomi ~ Willa ~ Evangeline ~ Freya ~ Vivienne ~ Nora ~ Josephine ~ Daphne

Meh. I wish I could like it, because it seems like you all do quite a bit and it'd be cute to say Sophie named her little brother. But Johnny is my brother's name, and I quite honestly can barely stand it. I really only call him Johnny when talking about him to anyone outside of my family--I call him Buddy 90% of the time (not because I couldn't bear to call him by his real name, which is ridiculous. It's his name, he seems to like it, I have no problem with that. But he's my little (okay, kind of big, haha) buddy! I can't imagine not calling him Buddy, haha.) That being said, my brother comes from a long line of Johns nn Johnny. It's so terribly overdone in my family, and I've always preferred Jack. I do think John is a great idea, though--you could use both Jack and Johnny if you liked.

ETA: I definitely wouldn't use just Johnny, though--my brother is pretty consistently known as Johnny by just about everyone, and he's 23 and in the Air Force. But I think he still likes having the more formal John to fall back on--he's always been referred to as John by most of his teachers, and employers (although he only gets our surname in the military now).
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

I love John or Jonathan nn Johnny. The fact that John could also be Jack seems to make it a really good choice for you guys, and it straightforward fn like that will be an excellent foil for an interesting nature-y mn.

I like August on your list, but not with a nature mn. John or Jonathan great, especially to pair with a really unique mn. I'm not a fan of just Johnny... but I don't like nn as formal names. Everyone will assume his name is John (or Jonathan), and I'd find Johnny a bit too informal for resumes and such... just me. Assuming your surname neither begins or ends with an N, I really like John or Jonathan.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

I like Johnny, it feels like one of those nn's that was so overused at one point in time everyone's stopped using them and it's become new and fresh again. Though I would but John/Jonathan/Johannes/Johan something like that on the birth certificate
    Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot