Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Chic Baby Names from Spain

DH and I are trying to come up with a name for our first baby. I'm American, his family is from Spain (Barcelona). She will be raised in a bilingual family in Austin full of musicians, technologists, poets/philosophers, book editors, and professors. We're looking for Spanish baby names that are reasonably pronounced in the US although they don't have to be bilingual.

What are some chic, intelligent, unique Spanish names other than the most common ones such as Camila, Lucia, Valentina, and Clara?

Looking at the bottom of the top 100 in Spain and Catalonia from 2011 (on behindthename), i see things like

Nadia
    Luna
    Beatriz
    Naia
    Navara
    Mireia
    Vega
    Noelia
    Leire
    Salma

Any of those would come across as chic in the US i think.

Not necessarily the top names in Spain, where Lucía, Paula, Sofía, Sara, Julia and other 2-3 syllable names are the most popular now.

Adalia
    Adela
    Alma
    Antonia
    Candela
    Carmela
    Dalia
    Inés
    Jimena
    Martina
    Paloma
    Renata
    Violeta

I think Paloma is fabulous, depending on your last name. Pablo's daughter is a great namesake in a city like Austin and being half Spanish, she will be able to pull it off. Keep us posted!

I love the name Carmen. It also means song in Latin. A baby Beatriz would be lovely as well!
    ~Mehri