Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Does "Maisie" work as a nickname for Madeleine?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 60.32%
  • No

25 39.68%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    1. Does Madeleine "Maisie" work?
    — Yes. May / Maisie would work for almost any M- name. However, "Maidie" would be a more logical choice with this full name.

2. How do you pronounce Madeleine (with the ending of -lynn, -line, -len, or something else)?
    — "mahd-LEN"; If you are going with the French spelling, I don't see the point of using the English -lynn or -line pronunciations.

3. What would you think if you met a Madeleine "Maisie"?
    — Very pretty name that will age well and work in almost all sceneries. A smart way of avoiding the popular "Maddy".

4. Lastly, what do you think of the names Madeleine (or Madeline) and Maisie (or Maisy) in general?
    Madeleine / Madeline is a classic strong name you can't really go wrong with. Maisie is an adorable nickname but not substantial enough to be a full, formal name.
    Arabella, Thibault, Sophia, Alfred, Eleanor, Rémi, Charlotte, Achille, Olivia, Clement, Elizabeth, Frederick, Maud, Benedict, Adèle.

I think Maisie works just fine as a nickname for Madeleine. I pronounce it mad-uh-len. I love the name Madeleine (my daughter is Madelyn, named after her great-grandmother), despite the different spellings and pronounciations. And I adore Maisie! Wanted to call my Madelyn by May or Maisie, but she decided to go by Maddie.
    Mom to Alexander Patrick (10), Madelyn Esther (8), Genevieve Susan (3), and Theodore James (stillborn at 37 weeks on February 3, 2014). Expecting #5 in May 2015.

Boys: Everett, Sebastian, Augustus, Samuel, Abraham, Elias, Julian, Silas, Nicholas, Desmond, Jasper, Ezekiel
    Girls: Bridget, Felicity, Elizabeth, Leona, Ophelia, Caroline, Aurelia, Elysia, Callista, Miriam, Isabelle, Delilah

Vote on my long list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9844996

I have a daughter called May and her nn is Maisie.
    I agree with the other posters- a nickname used from the start works.
    My three cherubs- Harry Edward, Ava Bonnie and May Rose

Not to me. Too totally different names. Maisie is fine on its own.

As much as I want it to work for you..... I agree with the following:

Quote Originally Posted by boyandgirl View Post
    Not to me. Too totally different names. Maisie is fine on its own.
    Maximus Alexander (April 2012)
    Audrey Juliet Sophia (August 2014)
    Owner of "The Art of Naming!"