Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    The thing is, I hate working. I am not at all career motivated. I hate being kept away from home and not being able to have days off that coincide with my fiance so I never get to see him (yes, this could change but still it may be a while before it does) and I hate always working when my family plans things (I work weekends, everyone else is off on weekends). I would MUCH rather be a stay at home mom than bother with developing a career and stuff. Sure we lose income by that decision, but my children would benefit greatly because I could spend more time with them and possibly even home school them.
    Current faves:

Melanie Anne, Caroline Olivia, William Gregory, Benjamin Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by dcterry View Post
    The thing is, I hate working. I am not at all career motivated. I hate being kept away from home and not being able to have days off that coincide with my fiance so I never get to see him (yes, this could change but still it may be a while before it does) and I hate always working when my family plans things (I work weekends, everyone else is off on weekends). I would MUCH rather be a stay at home mom than bother with developing a career and stuff. Sure we lose income by that decision, but my children would benefit greatly because I could spend more time with them and possibly even home school them.
    There's nothing wrong with that, but I think I would focus on getting a home first. It's so much easier to save up for a home before you have a baby. My husband and I are now in the process of closing on a house. We saved for a couple years. Plus I started working part time in order to help make a little more.

As for times coinciding, you just need to find a job that works for you. My husband has a typical 40 day week (full time programmer), he's always home by 5PM and doesn't work weekends. My job is flexible, but I hardly work nights, maybe a couple times a month, but I can handle not seeing him till 10PM a night or 2, but typically I work a morning shift and am home before he is. I don't work Saturdays. Also if I do have something planned, like a Reunion, I can request off. Then again, I have a job I like doing, which probably makes a difference. I don't love it, but I don't hate it.

However, I do plan to quit once we decide to start a family. I want to be the one to raise my children, not someone else. BUT, my husband makes a pretty decent income where it isn't really necessary for me to work. I just like having extra money to buy those unnecessary things and to save up for traveling the world! My mom is the same, my dad makes plenty to support all of us (now just my mom and sister), but she always worked part time (and still does) because she was/is bored at home and she liked spoiling us, lol!

As for homeschooling, that would be an added expense. Public schools are free, but you have to pay for homeschooling, at least at some point. A parent can only really teach so much, unless you have a masters in an education, but even then, you're not the master in EVERY field. You'll have to pay for an online program or tutors.

Then again, this is coming for someone who is 22 and has not intention of having children till she's 30! So take it with a grain of salt
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

Quote Originally Posted by dcterry View Post
    I think it's great that you know that advancing in a career isn't what is meaningful to you in life. I feel like, as someone who grew up in high school in the late 90s/early 2000s, it was not a very fashionable thing to say. Like I grew up in a generation when college & career aspirations were just a given! Things like opting to be a SAHM or work in a trade that you found personally gratifying were looked down on. I think it's great that those choices are becoming more relevant now.

Havent read any other posts so sorry for repeat comments!

I honestly think that no matter what situation you are in, you will always find a way to provide for your own children. We never had a lot of money growing up, and never had a house of our own. I had the happiest childhood I could imagine, and always had everything I needed. You can never be prepared for EVERYTHING. There will always be hospital bills, doctors visits, large unexpected expenses. Put as much as you can in savings. Make sure you have enough for the basics to care for a little one (ie baby food, clothes, all those necessary things for day to day life) and you will be fine. I often worry about how we will afford children, but then I see families out and about that obviously don't have a lot of money and have a ton of kids. There is always a way to do it. Just be responsible about it (not anal) and it will all work out fine!