Names Searched Right Now:
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tarynkay View Post
    @maggiefromcanada

I have never heard of changing your last name on your birth certificate when you get married. That definitely isn't how it is done in America, at least. When I did it, I brought my marriage license to the social security administration office, then took the new SSA card to get a new drivers license. Then when we planned our next trip abroad, I got a new passport w. my new last name. But my birth certificate still has my maiden name. I am positive about this b.c we had to order copies from the state when we did our homestudy.
    It could be we have the same system, but I don't know how it works in the US. I don't know if any of my acquaintance have actually done this either. My understanding is that if you do a formal, legal name change, you are issued a new birth certificate. You have to fill in a long form and I believe there is a fee involved.

To change your name when you get married, you can do a faster process, but that means your birth name is still technically your legal name and your birth certificate doesn't change. The only reason (in my opinion) against doing it the easier way is it could be a problem if you immigrate to another country. My dad applied for US citizenship and there was an issue because some of his birth certificate listed him as Jean-Michel, but most of his other paperwork had his name as John Michael. He had to do a name change in Canada so he was legally John Michael before he could become a US citizen. So confusing!
    Miriam ~ Helena ~ Estella ~ Beatrice ~ Anastasia ~ Alice ~ Marilla ~ Sarah
    Paul ~ Wesley ~ Walter ~ Edmund ~ Isaac ~ Abram ~ Gabriel

Trying for baby#1
    Avatar: Nathan Altman, Portrait of Anna Akhmatova

Quote Originally Posted by tarynkay View Post
    @maggiefromcanada

I have never heard of changing your last name on your birth certificate when you get married. That definitely isn't how it is done in America, at least. When I did it, I brought my marriage license to the social security administration office, then took the new SSA card to get a new drivers license. Then when we planned our next trip abroad, I got a new passport w. my new last name. But my birth certificate still has my maiden name. I am positive about this b.c we had to order copies from the state when we did our homestudy.
    Yes you are correct, just got married last October. You take your marriage certificate and other required info to the Social Security Office. They issue you a new SSA Card and you're set. Birth Certificate is NOT changed in America. That just seems silly and odd, after all you weren't born with that last name....
    Our Cats:
    Calcifer & Mittzy

Our Dog:
    Lexie

Favorite Names
    Elsa ~ Flora ~ Luna ~ Euphemia ~ Caroline ~ Artemis
    Ezra ~ Severus ~ Llewellyn ~ Rory ~ Liam ~ Preston

Author Site | Tumblr | Blog | Free Printables

When we finally get around to getting married (I imagine we'll just elope at some point since the thought of have "THE WEDDING" just completely turns me off!) I'm still slightly undecided on the last name issue, but veering more toward keeping my maiden name.

- after 27 (almost 28) years, i'm quite used to it!
    - my husband-to-be's grandmother, and sister-in-law have the same name as me, so it would make me the 3rd, Mrs. K. Cxxxxx and I'm not a big fan of the alliteration in this case.
    - it's also a tricky last name as its an adjective, a noun and a verb.
    - i'm not bothered about having a different last name than my kids
    - husband-to-be doesn't have any strong feelings about whether or not I take it
    Leo Sebastian l Ronan Alexander

current loves
    Felix l Finn l Moss l Heath l Fern l Veda l Tui l Blythe

@maggiefromcanada
    For formal legal procedures, such as our homestudy, I was required to submit copies of both my birth certificate and my marriage certificate, so that it was obvious why I was given one last name at birth and later took another. I would imagine it would be the same for immigration.

@rin
    Yeah- I got married at 22, so I really had not established any sort of professional identity based on my original name. I probably would have kept it if I had to change things like business cards or if it could potentially cause confusion professionally.

I really enjoy being Mrs XXX along with my husband's grandmother and his many aunts (his mom remarried and has a different last name). I don't know. Maybe that is weird. But I really like that.

I took my husbands name for a few reasons..

-My maiden name was difficult to pronounce and generally a pain

-I got married fresh out of college, I was able to build my career with my married name.

-I opted to legally take the conjugated feminine form of his surname (the standard in eastern europe, but my mil opted to keep it legally when she got us citizenship, most people drop it and take the same name). That to me says a lot about her and we (my mil and I) have a pretty unique surname in this part of the world as a result.

I know many women who've kept their names and many who have not--I understand both choices, just not judgements about people who choose to do the opposite.
    mom to livvy jozefa 7.10.13