Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I have a dream that we'll both change our last names to something charming like Darling.
    But that all depends on what the last name of my future husband is, and what he thinks about it.

The reason I would want to change is because for one, I haven't exactly had the best life with my family and I don't really want to be attached to my maiden name anymore. I think it would be like starting a whole new life of our own, starting a family line, all that kind of stuff if we changed it to something new. I also just really like the last name Darling, it goes with almost everything haha.

Though it is kind of sad to let go of my maiden name because there is no one else to carry it on. I am an only child, and my uncle is not married and says he never wants to be, so there's little hope there. Basically, if I give it up, my line of the family is dead

I guess those are my reasons, but realistically, I bet I'll end up with my future husband's name.
    Last edited by alliecat; June 8th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.
    Catelin Geneva
    Just highschooler by day author by night obsessed with names and future babies when she's much older.

Cecily Eirwen Ophelia, Belphoebe Judith Primrose, Isolde Bellona Winter, Circe Guinevere Florence
    ::
    Rainier Gideon Wolf, Theon Samuel Peregrin, Peregrin Julius Harrow, Dorian Oliver Fox, Casimir Endymion Silver

I'm a published writer and academic, which would make a name change tricky even if I wanted to change it - which I don't. My name is part of who I am. It connects me to my heritage and even more importantly to my grandfather, who passed away several years ago. Aesthetically it isn't the best surname ever; it's very traditional, very Jewish, and goes horribly with most of my favorite names. I don't care. My wife or husband can either take my name, keep their own, or hyphenate; our kids will be hyphenated or have my name. I wouldn't change it for the world, and frankly I don't understand women who do.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

I should also add that none of my married friends have taken their husband's names -- they've either hyphenated or changed to a mutually agreed-upon name. A woman taking her husband's name would be seen as very strange and regressive.

Matilda Sailor or Faye Matilda | Sylvie Winifred or Simon Atlas | Atlas Dov or Alice Violetta | Lucien Wilde or Lucinda Jane | Jane Lucinda or Jack Marlowe | Marlowe Charles or Roscoe Thomas | Charles ' Charlie' Wallace or Marigold 'Maggie' Wynn | Eloise Lily or Elliot Darwin | Iris Cordelia or Thea Marina | Jasper Augustus or Juniper 'June' Lovelace | Julian Felix or Judah 'Jude' Reeve

Just a grad student dreaming ahead...

When Jay and I got married, I was adamant I wanted to take his last name. I liked the idea of being Mrs. M instead of having my last name hyphenated or keeping my maiden name. Jason told me before we got married, I didn't have to take his last name, I didn't have to be Mrs. M. I could continue being Ms. S or I could hyphenate my name. My maiden name is very long and very hard to pronounce, so hyphenating was really unappealing. One thing I did do though, was ask my dad if he would be sad that I wasn't staying a Ms. S and I was going to Mrs. M, he told me, "Erin, I want you to do whatever will make you happy whether it be changing your last name or keeping your maiden name." It was nice hearing that from my dad. My sister took her husband's last name and my older brother Troy had my nephews, so it made my decision to take Jason's name that much more concrete.

I also got married while I was in college, and it was interesting that one semester I was Erin S. and then the next I was Erin M. No one was pressuring me into taking Jason's last name and my mother didn't even take my dad's name. Also Jaime Boreanaz (David Boreanaz of Bones wife) didn't take his last name until way later in the marriage . So you can get married and ultimately decide later on you want to change your name. It isn't something you have do as soon as you get married.
    ~E&J~
    Mama to: Truman "True" Reed (1/06), Delaney "Laney" Katherine (7/07), Charlotte "Lottie" Elisa (9/09), and Hallie Jane (3/11). Expecting Spencer "Spence" Troy and Georgia "Georgie Bea" Beatrice (8/13)

I'm not really sure what I'll do! I like my last name because we're literally the only family in the country that has it. On the other hand, I've had a lot of trouble with it because people have a hard time pronouncing it, even though it's not overly complicated. It sounds good with my first name as well. If my husband had a surname I really liked, I would take it, but honestly I would keep my own surname if his was something unattractive.
    Favourites at the moment ♥

Leah, Scarlett, Sophie, Claire, Vivian, Madeleine, Evangeline, Selena, Gillian, Nina, Mila, Heidi, Isla, Hazel, Annabelle, Lydia, Celia, Violet, Genevieve
    Elias, Eli, Dominic, Thatcher, Graham, Noel, Nolan, Chase, Mattias, Dean, Cole, Blake, Daniel, Ash, Rhys, Julian, Callum, Kieran, Aidan, Ronan