Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sakura

I think it's alright. I've never met a Sakura, but when I was about 12, I was really into Naruto, and the main female was named Sakura. She was super annoying. So I much prefer Saskia to Sakura.
    -Athena

Top Girls: Under Construction

Top Boys: Under Construction

I love the name. It's super cute, and different (at least in English speaking countries. I believe it's quite popular in Japan). It also shouldn't be hard to pronounce, although, I could se getting the occasional Sack-ura.
    Ian Alexander Cameron Blaise Damien Cole Axel Sean Callum Bryce Lennox Beau
    Blair Annevieve Camryn Atalya Piper Caydence Tallulah Sage Senna Kai Haven Lux

I do love Sakura with its correct pronunciation, which sounds like sock-ah-ruh in English*. It is a very popular name in Japan in the past decade (basically their equivalent of Emily) and I do think it has potential in the Western world through anime characters (though the Sakura in Naruto was very, very annoying and one of the reasons I never watched the whole series) and other Japanese media.

*In Japanese, the sound that is represented by the Romaji (Roman character) 'u' is barely pronounced unless it is followed by another 'u', as in the case of Yuuna, where it would be you-nuh. In Sakura, the middle syllable is very, very short, resulting in the name sounding like sock-ruh to most English speakers. Pronouncing it sock-ruh and bypassing the second syllable entirely is probably the best bet in the Western world.
    ~lucy reine~
    ~ celestine eira ~ mary simona ~ elizabeth echo "ellie" ~ eleanor heaven "lena" ~ vivienne ailsa ~ felicity emma "fay" ~ catherine aiko "rin" ~ elsa verity ~
    ~ jasper red ~ evander lachlan 'evan'~ kai nicholas ~ ezra link ~ avery thomas ~ michael satoshi "mischa" ~ finn jeremias ~ ezekiel hayden ~ alexander rowan "sacha" ~
    guilty pleasures
    ~ tisiphone aria ~ alecto elpis ~ miya lucida ~ addison matteo ~ corinthian tidus ~

I used to live in Japan so I'm quite familiar with the name (and think the cherry blossoms were some of the most beautiful sights there!), but honestly I think it would be a little weird on someone who was not Japanese.
    Proud mommy to Levi Larson. Expecting #2 (gender surprise) in August.

Adelaide - Charlotte - Opal - Scarlett - Indigo - Dahlia
    Finnegan - Anders - Cedric - Blaise - Logan - Calloway

Quote Originally Posted by aurra View Post
    I do love Sakura with its correct pronunciation, which sounds like sock-ah-ruh in English*.
    I hear 'sa-KOO-ra' when this Japanese girl says it: http://www.forvo.com/word/sakura/. Is that not right?
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: 18 is up. Two more to follow within the next week.