Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sibset with Maura and Patrick

(I have posted about this before, but the question is a little different this time. TIA)

We have a daughter named Maura. We don't need any boy name suggestions because if we ever have a son we're 100% set on naming him Patrick. I think Maura and Patrick go perfectly together and both names have special significance to us. If baby #2 is a boy, we're done. In fact, before we had Maura we agreed we only wanted 2 children period, but DH has told me that if baby #2 is another girl he would really want to try one more time for a son. The problem is, there aren't any other girl name that we both like that go with Maura and Patrick (since we want to keep that option open). We have tried to agree on other Irish-flavored girl names to go with our last name (Mc____a) and fit the sibset, but there is nothing else we both love (that isn't already used by another family member.) I love Colleen but he doesn't. Plus, my nephew is Cole and I don't know if that is too similar. DH suggested Bridget/Brigid and I tried to come around to it, but then people pointed out "Frigid Brigid" and "Bridget the Midget." We can't do that to a kid! There are plenty of non-Irish names I'm sure we could agree on, but my concerns are 1.) would a non-Irish name go well with Mc____a as a last name? and 2.) wouldn't it be strange to potentially end up having 2 children with Irish names and 1 in the middle that doesn't belong? Suggestions?

I agree that you want to stick with something Irish-ish.
    What about Fiona? Ida? Nola (maybe as a nn for Finnoula?) Siobhan? Teagan? Aileene? Adair?

We LOVE Fiona, but it's my cousin's name. I'm this close to asking her if it would bother her if we named a baby after her. I worry that our family would think it was weird, though. She's named after me, though (my 1st name is her middle), so maybe that makes it okay somehow?

I don't think it has to be particularly Irish. Maura and Patrick are Irish, but they've also got a vintage, spunky flavor. I think you could get away with something in a similar vein. Though there isn't a Patrick yet, I'll include it so we can see how they all look/sound together:

Irish:
    Maura, Delaney & Patrick
    Maura, Erin & Patrick
    Maura, Fallon & Patrick
    Maura, Flanna/Flannery & Patrick
    Maura, Grainne/Grania & Patrick
    Maura, Kathleen & Patrick
    Maura, Kerry & Patrick
    Maura, Clare & Patrick
    Maura, Roisin & Patrick
    Maura, Shea & Patrick
    Maura, Sorcha & Patrick
    Maura, Talullah & Patrick
    Maura, Aisling & Patrick

Not-so-Irish:
    Maura, Sadie & Patrick
    Maura, Lila & Patrick
    Maura, Ruby & Patrick
    Maura, Eliza & Patrick
    Maura, Lucy & Patrick
    Maura, Ivy & Patrick
    Maura, Eva & Patrick

I would ask your cousin about using Fiona. I don't think it would be odd; in fact, if she is a little named after you, it's kind of cool to see that come full circle. And it seems to me like a big compliment to hear from someone, "I love love love your name and would like to use it, just like you have part of my name."

As a Brigid, let me ease a few fears. No one, in twenty-some years, has come up with Frigid Brigid. I've used that as a rhyme so people over the phone could spell my name, but that's it. And of course I heard Bridget the Midget--says a 5'0" woman--but if it hadn't been that, it'd have been something else. The fact that "Brigid the Midget" isn't a good rhyme helped me roll my eyes and laugh about it.

For what it's worth, I love my name. I'm considering passing it on to a daughter. And Brigid of Kildare is such a wonderful role model--I've collected so many stories of her kindness, generosity, and lasting impact.

Other options:
    Kathleen (a nice nod to your name)
    Carlin (my middle name--my mother called me Carlin Darlin' when I was a wee thing)
    Clare (I love this option)
    Emma
    Alma
    Margaret
    Eileen
    Catriona
    Alva (Ailbhe)
    Ita
    Maeve
    Ciara
    Aisling
    Sinead