Names Searched Right Now:
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    My husband and I have loved the name Edith and especially the diminutive Edie for a long time. It's what we would have named our daughter, if my former sister-in-law hadn't come up with another absolutely perfect name when I was eight months pregnant.

We still love Edith, and unless the most amazing name in the world magically emerges between now and October, Edith Lillian is going to be our new baby's name. Classic and classy; unusual but established, with a distinguished history; feminine without being girly. And I admit to being a major Downton Abbey fangirl.

I wouldn't say most or even many people dislike Edith, but those who do are vocal and don't mince words about it. If have had people really hurt my feelings by saying "ew" or "oh God, don't do that to your child!". Seriously.

However, a wonderful piece of advice my mother has always given me regarding other people's opinions is: "Consider the source."
    I have noticed that people who have a strong reaction to and make nasty comments about the name Edith all fall into one of two categories:
    1. Not educated, low level of culture, rural/suburban
    2. The retiree crowd, 60+ years old

There's nothing wrong with being either of those things, of course, but those people don't fall into my peer group. Within our peer group, educated, cultured, urban 30-and-40-somethings, people have nothing but great things to say about our choice. And those people and their children are who my daughters are going to grow up around and interact with, so it's them whose first impression of my children's names will matter.

Anyway, yes, people have told me they hate our choice for my baby's name, and at first it stung, but I realized their opinion is really of no consequence and we're going with what we love. :razz:

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpeace13 View Post
    Any "thing" name husband hates so no nature names, (Cedar, River, Ocean), no music names (Cadence) and I have a deep love of natury hippie names
    Samesies! What is with these husbands? Mine vetoed Linden and Aster on the same grounds. Boo.

My husband is the only one that has given me negative comments on the names that I love. He thinks they are too weird or too old-ladyish.
    One name that I have always liked is Amber. It gets lots of negative comments on message boards. Everyone always says it sounds like a stripper name! There are lots of other names that sound more like stripper names than Amber. I wouldn't use it, but I still think it is pretty. My husband seems to like popular, dated, 80s/90s names, so he would probably go for Amber! LOL I have considered Ambra (Italian) instead, but people think that it is weird.

Well, I'm pretty resolute about all my names. But of the ones that have elicited negative feedback:

Arizona (for a girl) and Dallas (for a boy) - People moan about using place names, but I like them.
    Mavis - I think it fleshes out Maeve, but a lot of people think it's too old-fashioned.
    Shiloh (on a boy) and Avery (on a boy)- I've heard people dismiss them as girl's names, but I love them on boys.
    Lazarus - People have said it's too out there. I don't agree.
    Colton - Trendy? Sure. Do I care? No.

There are others, but that's a good sampling.
    Silas ~ Gideon ~ Lincoln ~ Ezekiel ~ Malachi ~ Samuel ~ Ezra ~ Charlie ~ Gabriel ~ Elliott
    Maisie ~ Sophie ~ Naomi ~ Willa ~ Evangeline ~ Freya ~ Vivienne ~ Nora ~ Josephine ~ Daphne

Mine are:
    Willoughby. Probably a gp, don't think I'd really use it (and i have others I like better anyway), but i don't really care that most people I share it with don't like it. My boyfriend didn't, and said it was like wallaby, but once he suggested that as a nickname, it became more adorable rather than a bad association!
    Eloise with the nickname Weezie. My friends think this is horrible, I love it. It is an actual nn for the name but people just say it's ugly... I think it's spunky and scrappy
    Thatcher, some people here think of Margaret and wouldn't ever want it used. I think of it more like the occupational last name.