Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Saoirse

I am in the same boat as you are. As a name nerd, I know how to spell and pronounce it correctly. However, I'm not sure the majority of people do.
    Ladies
    Avery Catherine Lucille ~ Caroline Ruby Elizabeth ~ Clarity Jessamine Leigh ~ Josephine Louisa Danielle ~ Rosemary Margaret Luna ~ Tessa Hermione Jayne

&
    Gentlemen
    Desmond William Beau ~ Elijah Laurence Rhys ~ Harrison Joseph Rene ~ Logan Christopher Knightley ~ Theodore David Henry ~ Whitney Benjamin John

Wishing to be pregnant... but having to be responsible and wait for now :P

Saoirse is on our list. DH is a Dubliner. The only trouble is we like the slight mispronunciation "Sor-sha." And for that reason it might have to come off the list.

DH wants to use the Irish spelling and thinks we could get away with it as an Irish-American couple. I think we could spell it phonetically since we aren't staying with the true Irish pronunciation.

If you are staying with the true Irish pronunciation "Seer-sha or "Saer-sha"...keep the Irish spelling. IMO.
    Possibles for our DD due in October...but we can't agree on which one/combo will fit. DH is from Dublin. I'm from L.A. We have an Aine (5) & a Patrick (2).

* Meredith * Eibhlin * Naimh * Claire * Brigid * Fionnuala *

The problem with the name isn't JUST that it's hard to pronounce --it's that there are lots of different ways to pronounce it. In Ireland it's Seer-sha OR Saer-sha....those are pretty different just there. Then you get into the actress who pronounces it SIR-sha and I've also heard it SOR-sha.

It's a mess. I have a colleague who puts the pronunciation of her name in her email signature and Facebook name. Do you want to condemn a child to that?
    Latest list:

Girl: Lulu, Eden
    Boy: Leo, Wallace, Grady

Mommy to one sweet little boy who I loved naming Lennox Andrew Michael (Lex for short)

Quote Originally Posted by m3lissa View Post
    DH wants to use the Irish spelling and thinks we could get away with it as an Irish-American couple. I think we could spell it phonetically since we aren't staying with the true Irish pronunciation.
    You have an Aine O_o You used the correct spelling there, so why should Saoirse be any different. I'm sure people must pronounce Aine as 'anne' or 'annie' all the time.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

It's a beautiful name, I love how it sounds, but I couldn't deal with the constant spelling and pronunciation mistakes, and wouldn't want to stick my daughter with that.