Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    I wasn't named until after I was born. My mom didn't even find out the gender. She had several girl names she liked (but was dead-set on Benjamin for a boy), and named me when she "met" me.
    Proud furmom to:
    Pepper, Kuno, Mia, Rosalind, Gwendolen & Cecily
    Currently loving:
    Elysia Maeve~Marina Isolde~Linnea Violetta~Minerva Sophronia~Merida Ianthe~Eleni Finola
    Tiernan Hugo~Felix Lysander~Orion Casimir~Caspian Milo~Evander Anslem~Leonidas Gavin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cosima Helene & Emrys Jasper

I started out talking names with anyone who asked. I mean, I am a Berrie after all, I was really excited to get to talk about names that much! I had my dream name, Nina, all ready to go and my pregnant SIL & BIL 'stole' it from me causing all kinds of family tension cause they all knew it was 'my' name.

So we were back to square one & names were an emotional topic for me. I think too many people in my life lack boundaries & respect so they were insulting the names like it was a Comedy Central Roast...somehow a name feels unusable once your own grandmother openly mocks it! So I stopped talking names which created quite a controversy. I used the Nina debacle as a way to put them off and it worked even though they were still annoyed, it got them to drop the topic.

For any future pregnancy I will not discuss the names among my family. I will probably seek feedback from a few friends whose taste is similar to my own and I will seek feedback here for sure! It's good to check in to see if anyone has any reaction you never thought of, some glaringly teasable aspect of the name or something. Honestly, I ended up feeling like my whole family was just all up in my pregnancy like it was theirs! It was nice to finally keep something for just my husband and I!

Oh, you didn't ask for one, but I did find a great way to get people off of the topic if they're questioning you about the name you picked. Just ask them, "Well, what do YOU like?" and for the most part they will go on and on about what names they would pick for your baby. In my experience most people suggest most of the top 10 names, their own name, and tons of shockingly bad or surprisingly original stuff!

I bet your mother's reason for finding it ridiculous to hold back on sharing the name was merely her own curiosity. I mean, no we can know the sex, see 3D images of the fetus, ect. It's fine to keep something to yourselves! Just let her in on a cute nn for the bump and let her make lists for you to throw out once you get home!!

We didn't tell anyone the names we were considering when we were expecting. It may have rubbed some people the wrong way, but we felt it was important. The way I see it, it's hard enough to pick a name that you AND your spouse are both happy with. The more people you add to that equation, the harder it becomes. It's impossible to please everyone. Your parents already got to name a kid(s); it's your turn now. Give the kid a name YOU love! If Grandma loves the name ________ so much, she should have used it for one of her own kids.

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    somehow a name feels unusable once your own grandmother openly mocks it! It's good to check in to see if anyone has any reaction you never thought of, some glaringly teasable aspect of the name or something.
    Hahahahahaha!! Yes, Taz! I had the same experience with my sisters.