Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Portuguese/German Names?

I am of English and Portuguese origin. My hubby is English, German and American Indian. I would like a name that will be accessible to both sides of my heritage as well as his. I'm finding this to be a daunting task and would love some outside feedback. This is what I've come up with so far..

Anna-The Portuguese pronunciation is UH-NUH which I prefer. It's much softer and feminine IMO. Also it honors my mother whose name is Anabela. I like that it is recognizable in most languages including German, however I'm not sure about using it as a first name. It seems a bit plain. I think I might prefer it, or a name variant as a middle name. I like Anneliese, which is a very old-fashioned German name. Thoughts?

Nina-So very sweet, simple and old fashioned. Having trouble finding a German name that flows well with it. I think a 2-3 syllable name would sound best since Nina is already so short. What are some of your suggestions?

Ines-Adore this name! Portuguese pronunciation is EEN-EHZH. I don't mind the English pronunciation I-NEZ. Not sure which pronunciation I'd use though. Would it be more appropriate to use the English pronunciation since I live in the U.S? Or does it not make a difference? Also, having trouble finding a German name that flows well with it, just like Nina.

Catarina/Catharina/Katarina-Catharina is the German spelling which honestly I'm not very fond of. Hubby really likes this one. He actually prefers the spelling Katarina which I'm also not very fond of. I prefer Catarina. Which is your favorite?

Bianca-I really like the idea of using the nn Bia. It's so sweet. Have no idea what I would pair this with.

Maria-Every Portuguese woman has this name it seems lol. I would never use it as a first name but since it is my great-grandmothers name, I thought about maybe using it as a middle.

Ok this is what I have so far. Obviously I still have some tweeking to do lol. Would love to hear some of your suggestions. Thank you

Eudora - Casilda - Violetta - Odelia - Leocadia - Odette - Isolde - Valentine - Leopoldine - Isadora
    Eulalia - Aurelia - Marigold - Ariadne - Viola - Cosima - Philomena
    Averil - Caius - Casimir - Basil - Ignatius - Benedict - Thaddeus - Raphael - Leopold - Clement
    Cassian - Isidore - Wenceslaus - Balthasar - Arlo - Gilbert - Cornelius - Augustine - Carlisle

Ooh. Your options are stunning. Not the biggest fan of Maria but the others are amazing.

I would use Catarina.

What about Camila?
    My darling little Bean is a G I R L!
    Making her debut September 2014

My favorite name and combo on your list is Nina Anneleise. I also really like Ines Maria.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

Love Anna and Bianca! Love suggestion of Camila.