Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks for the suggestions. I always feel bad when people suggest names to me and I don't feel like any of them will work, but I don't.

My mom was almost named Abigail after her dad (Albert nn Ab), but he didn't like the name, so I'm staying away from it.

2 of my close friends have daughters named Eleanor and Lenora, both nn Nora, so I'd rather not use another Nora name like Honors.

Johanna...I just don't like it, sorry.

Isolde is beautiful and I love it! It doesn't feel usable to me, though. Also, it's Welsh. I love so many Welsh name, too, but I don't know if my husband can be persuaded away from Irish names.

Aisling is nice, but I think it's hard to spell and pronounce and the Anglicized spelling looks fake to me. It reminds me of the movie Book of Kells, though, which I love!

Yeah, Brigid is too close to frigid for me, the Bridget spelling is better but there's something about the name that is a bit harsh-sounding to my ears, completely different to the soft sounds of Maura (lovely name, btw). Colleen I like, I don't think it's too close to Cole because they're not even pronounced the same - if it was said Cole-leen then maybe too close, but as it's a shorter 'o' sound I think it's fine. And if little Cole's already been born, and you're not planning on having another child for a while yet, then they won't be that close in age either. How often do you see your sister and her son? If it becomes a problem, just call your daughter by a nickname - Leena, maybe?

Anna Katherine * Lydia Ellen * Zoe Madeleine * Phoebe ___ * Imogen ___ * Emilia ___
    Samuel * Thomas * Charlie * Reuben * Oliver * George

My DH is Irish-American, so I understand the frustration of trying to find the right names to go with your last name! (My son's mn is Patrick, by the way, and we love it!)

I know one Bridget (I love this spelling!), and one Brigid. To my knowledge, Brigid has never had any teasing problems regarding her first name. She is very bright, articulate and sociable.
    She has a sister named Colleen in fact, and I have always liked this name. I don't think Colleen is too close to Cole.

How about Catherine, Claire or Caitlin?
    Last edited by kyemsma; June 6th, 2013 at 08:46 AM.
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

I agree, Bridget sounds and looks so harsh to me! I do feel like the names go together historically/in a religious context, but I just don't love it like I love Maura. I thought since my husband likes it so much, I could live with the Brigid spelling (which looks softer and simpler to me at least) and call her Birdy for short, but that was before the Frigid Brigid thing was brought to my attention.

I have heard people say Cole-leen, although I don't pronounce it that way. I just worry my sister will feel like I'm stealing her name. Or that my parents won't like having grandkids with similar names. I also know that my parents don't like the name Cole at all (in fact, my mom still talks about it and he's 2 now!) so maybe they wouldn't like the name Colleen? I don't know, I love Colleen and dislike Cole, so maybe they'll feel the same way.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the name Deirdre? I remember hearing it when I was very young and liking it because it was different, but I don't know whether I like it or not now. There is a family friend on my husband's side with this name, but I've never met her (she has sent gifts for Maura, though, so that's how I know of her ) so I don't know if this is a person my husband or his family would like for us to honor.

My name is Kathryn and DH's sister is Kaitlin. I do like Claire, but I've heard that name a lot recently. Do you think it's getting TOO popular?