Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Matchy Names

Matchy Names

Anytime I hear people talk about naming multiples they talk about how much they hate matchy names and theme naming. Am I the only one who thinks it's cute? Obviously there are lines that shouldn't be crossed (Isabella and Isabelle or Joseph and Josephine for example) but I don't see why some people hate even matching initials or giving them both flower names or something. If I ever have twins I'd love to give them matchy names. I feel really alone on this and feel like talking about it is going to bring me negative comments. So if anyone agrees with me I'd love to hear what you have to say. God bless.

I don't mind matchy names at all, especially for twins, as long as they're not over the top, like you said. For the longest time I was in love with Emmeline and Eleanor because both are old-fashioned sounding E names with the very matchy nicknames of Emmie and Ellie! (which I love!) I also love twin names that are similar in style or origin.

Some of my favorites and their reasons for matching:
    Eleanor and Emmeline (as above)
    Juliet and Rosalind (Shakespeare characters)
    Lark and Wren (birds)
    Susannah and Margaret (underused, old-fashioned)
    Melody and Piper (music-themed and bubbly)
    Elanor and Elenna (both "El" LotR names)
    Violet and Juniper (plants)
    Sophia and Sylvia ("S" beginning, "ia" ending)
    Josie and Pippa (peppy short forms for very old-fashioned Josephine and Philippa)

sorry for the lack of boys' names-girls' names are so much more fun!! haha. Hope this helps you see that you're not the only one who likes matchiness! What are some of your favorites?
    Sweet Ladies:
    Elanor Therese ~ Rose Clementine ~ Elizabeth Gloria ~ Abilene Cecilia
    Lucy Magdalene ~ Susannah Violet ~ Caroline Mercy ~ Elsa Evangeline ~ Rosemary Luthien

Gallant Gents:
    Timothy Faramir ~ William Augustine ~ Percy Maximilian
    Calvin Anthony ~ John Paul Atticus

I don't necessarily see any problem with the same initial, or even flower names. But yeah, I think the more subtle the better. I really like the previous poster's ideas.
    Mom to baby Leo

If we have boy-girl twins I think dh and I would be quite tempted to use Theresa and Thomas.
    Mom to Paul, Clare, Mark, Katharine, James, and Andrew
    Current list of favorites:
    Girls: Caroline, Emily, Grace, Mary-Grace, Lucy, Lydia, or Theresa
    Boy: Gabriel, John, Jude, Luke, Nicholas, Peter, or Thomas

I love it, but I must admit I veer more towards cutesy sweet names than mythical, storied or royal names. I would love to have g/g twins named Bernadette & Beatrice and would totally call them Birdie & Bea. I know it's twee, cheesy, or whatnot, but I figure with 'grown up' full names like Bernadette & Beatrice it would be OK. My husband is against matching when it comes to twins- names, clothes, ect. I think it's no more damaging than referring to them as a unit, 'the twins' as I always hear the parent's of twins say. Just raise them in a way that you are mindful of their unique qualities and I think it doesn't matter what you name them!