Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Different pronunciation/ need help spelling!

I've always loved the name Adelaide, but pronounced "A-day-La-Eed" as opposed to the "laid" at the end. However, the only spelling I can really think of so that it is not consistently mispronounced (besides spelling it out like above!) would be something like Adaelaede...and I doubt that spelling will help at all! Anyone have any ideas for a way to spell it, without using the accent marks over the "i"?

So you pronounce it "a(like alligator)- day(as in monDAY)- lah(as in lollipop)- ed(as in edward) ????? I have never heard that pronunciation before. Maybe Adaylahed... haha just kidding dont do that! I honestly dont think there is a spelling that works for that. Sorry I wasnt much help! I tried!
    Boys: Maxwell, Bennett, Oliver, Elliott and Archer.

Girls: Rose, Juliet, Aria, Cora and Scarlett

Sorry for any random spellings. I'm probably on my nook!

Why don't you just use the accent marks?

I thought everyone pronounced it Ad-uh-laid. That's how I do it anyways.

Everyone does pronounce it Ad-uh-laid, but I just prefer the long French "eed" (not "ed") at the end! Thanks everyone that replied so far. Maybe I will just use the accent marks, I just know those have a tendency to be dropped, which will make the pronunciation go right back to the traditional.