Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Baby Shower when it's not the first born??

What do you think? Some think it's a big no-no and others think every baby should be celebrated via a shower, even if it's the fourth baby girl, etc. I really want to hear what other American mommies think since this is probably a culture thing.

I think the first baby shower is the big one, in terms of truly helping you prepare for baby. I think subsequent showers are o.k., if they are done on a smaller scale. Like a diaper and wipes shower from your co-workers...actually that is about the only example of a 'second' shower I can think of. I'm from the south and we do it like this; if you hear about someone you are close too, shower or no shower, you get, and then send, them a baby gift. So most people I know have one shower, but still get gifts from close friends and family for their following pregnancies. Personally, I think I would be a little embarrassed to ask everyone to attend a baby shower for me again. It is so expensive to host, and even when you say 'no gifts please,' people still feel obligated to bring one. Not judging, just saying, I wouldn't expect/plan a second baby shower for myself and I would be shocked to receive an invitation to a second shower, even if it was a close friend.

This topic was recently discussed in another thread: http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...8-Baby-Showers

Personally, I see no problem with a second shower, but, in Australia, a baby shower isn't as big a deal as in America. For example, gifts aren't very extravagant and there's certainly no registry. I think a small get-together for the second baby is fine, as long as guests aren't expected to bring gifts. Just an afternoon tea or a few drinks to celebrate the new baby. However, I'm commenting from an Australian perspective and American women might think differently on this topic.
    First baby due on September 7, 2015!

Audrey - Beatrice - Clara - Daphne - Jane - Margaret - Susannah - Violet

August - Barnaby - Edward - Frederick - Henry - Rupert - Theodore - Walter

I'm not a fan. It seems greedy in my opinion. My only exception is if there is a large age gap between children. My good friend is having a second "shower" this weekend- but it's really all the girlfriends getting together without husbands and kids before she has two under two.
    Mi corazón
    Zoe Milena

I think it's totally fine to have a celebration, but having a second full-on baby shower with a registry and everything is kind of tacky. It's like asking for gifts. Exceptions can possibly be made if the baby is a different gender or there is a very big age gap between children since the mother may not have held on to all the baby stuff (my sister had a baby shower with her 2nd child because her 1st child was 15 years old AND the opposite gender!)

I definitely understand the desire to have some sort of celebration for the new little life, even if it is the 7th child or whatever. When we have our second child, I want to throw a gender-reveal party (we didn't find out the gender with our 1st daughter). You could also consider having some kind of get-together after the baby is born instead.