Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Lost Loves

Lauren..niece names Laura.
    Marin (muh-RIN)... Pronunciation problems
    Cara (care-uh)... Possible pronunciation problems
    Natalie... Husband's ex
    Bonnie...I feel it is too nicknameish
    Poppy...I feel it is too nicknameish

I also really like Kelly, Brooke, Shannon, Heather, and Wendy but feel they are dated to the 70s and 80s.

Oh, and Winnie. I would like a more formal name for it, but don't like any of the formal Winnie names.

Quote Originally Posted by missmelissa View Post
    These are the names you love, but for one reason or another would never use-and WHY?

Here is my own personal list..

FABLE-(noun); a story, conveying a moral. I first saw this name on Girl's Gone Child and I just loved her philosophy on motherhood. It may not technically be a name, but it has wonderful meaning and is completely unique. With that being said, I could never namenap this wonderful name. Wish I would of thought of it first Also, I feel like it may not age well. Thoughts?

LYRA-pronounced LIE-RUH. This one may still be in the running. It's pretty much the only name DH hasn't vetoed lol. It's simple, rare and has beautiful associations with music and the stars. The only thing holding me back from using it, is I feel like people will constantly mispronounce it as LEE-RUH. Ugh I just hate how that sounds. It completely ruins the name for me.

FIONA-I have loved this name for as long as I can remember. It's so beautiful and exotic sounding but of course the movie Shrek has ruined it for me. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a gorgeous name, it's just every time I hear it I think green ogre. I wouldn't want to put my little girl through that teasing. Friends and family have said that by the time she is in school, Shrek will be long forgotten. I just don't know. Thoughts?

DAHLIA-pronounced DAH-LEE-UH. Like Fiona, it's beautiful and exotic and one of my favorite flower names. Unfortunately, DH is not a fan. He much prefers Violet which is also lovely, I just think it's getting a bit too popular.

IRIS-I absolutely adore this name but won't use it for two reasons. One, DH doesn't like it at all and two I absolutely butcher my R's lol. Such a shame because it has such an awesome meaning. Iris was a messenger-goddess who rode rainbows between heaven and earth to deliver messages from Olympus. Seriously, it doesn't get much cooler than that. I don't know, maybe we'll consider it as a middle name in the future.
    There's nothing wrong with any of those names! I especially love Fable, Lyra, and Fiona; pretty wearable, if I do say so myself. Fable isn't too strange, since people are naming their girls Story now. Its almost like the combination of Fay and Able, and those aren't strange names either, plus the nickname could be Fay. I just love the meaning behind Fable, too.

MY list on the other hand is pretty debatable.

Philomena - I've brought this up a few times in threads here; its a name I think is beautiful, strong, earthy, romantic, and could be the name of a hero in a book. Philomena was my grandmother Ione's best friend growing up, and when I first heard the name I was entranced.

Chrysanthemum - I love nature names, okay? I've loved this name since I was a little girl, and I always thought the flowers were gorgeous. I do have to say, my favorite part of the name is -santhemum, but Chrys has a very airy sound that I enjoy too. I just don't like the nickname Chrys!

Wildebriar - This was a name I kind of smooshed together one night: Wilda + Briar. I thought it was really pretty and cool, with a possible nickname of Willa. I just don't think it's very wearable for a kid today, kind of like Philomena. If I didn't have to worry about anything, I'd say Philomena and Wildebriar would be a pretty fitting sibling set.

I notice I seem to really like long names.
    aurora- autumn- ashwyn- bambi- bernadette- calliope- emmalou- henriette- indigo- ione- january- lark- leela- llewellyn- lydia- marnie- molly- narnia- noelle- oralee- penelope- philomena- rain- raven- roxy- ruby- snow- tessa- thora- waverly- willow- winter- wren- zoe | abel- aesop- angus- banjo- bartholomew- bear- bruce- burkley- darwin- elliot- finn- flynn- foster- henry- indigo - knox - laszlo - lyle - navy - nemo - noah - otis - oakley - rainn - thatcher - thomas - thompson - titus - zen

(Missmelissa, if you're Portuguese don't use Fiona... the teasing potencial with the word "feiona" is just too high)

Zara, because of the shop
    All names started in L, because I can't pronounce them properly

And for boy, Samir. I think it has the most beautiful meaning of all names, but it just sounds too weird for me to use.

liviajoan, I have Chrysanthemum on my list of middles! I loved the book of the same name when I was little.

Zoe- Too popular, and my current last name starts with an O, so it's off the table for now.
    Cleo- Would run together with my last name just like Zoe. Also, it's my cousins' cat's name.
    Sunday- I love the sound, but it's too out there even for me. Maybe in the middle spot.

There are a bunch more I can't think of right now.
    Gwen
    College student, bookworm, terrible influence.
    Owner of a cat: Minerva "Minnie"

Current favorites:
    Mazarine Cosima Odette Ailsa Celia
    Prosper Finn August Malcolm Zephyr