Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Using nn not from fn?

I've posted on here about changing my name before, but I hadn't thought to go by an unrelated nn. My name is boring and I don't like it. But I do know some people who go by an unrelated nn that does not come feom their fn or mn, like a John called Carl. Would this be possible? It would make me feel better, because I wouldn't be rejecting the name my parents gave me, just using something else. Thoughts?
    ~Mehri

That's totally possible! It's a practical alternative to changing your name. I know plenty of people who do this too I know a Mary who goes by Autumn. Most of the people who are like this use their middle names tho. I don't think it matters for you, but you could always change your middle name or just say your nn is your middle name :P It's up to you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Girl Names
    Rose Aberdeen--Isla Jane--Fiona Jude--Ailsa May--Eilidh Wren--Elsie Niamh--Mairi Lark

Boy Names
    Henry Forrest--Niall Rhys--Ewan Scott--Rory James--George Ruairidh--Hugh Alastair
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's possible. It will probably be difficult to get everyone on board as nicknames usually develop naturally or are started by others or come from childhood. I think it will be just as complicated & occasionally awkward as a legal name change, just without the hassle of paperwork. I think it's best to go for your middle if you like it or something that shares something with your given name- first initial, sound patterns, ect. Good luck!

I'm with taz. I think choosing a nn that isn't necessarily related to your fn totally works. I'd consider options that are related to your mn, or ln though.
    MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ZONE
    newlywed!!! (not trying...yet)

My middle name is generic and boring. Do you think I could use something starting with the same letter as my first name (M)? I use the name Mehri on here, but I would never use that in real life because it isn't from my culture. There are plenty of nice names starting with M...
    ~Mehri