Names Searched Right Now:
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    I don't think Iggy is inevitable for Ignatius. Nate or Nat seem just as intuitive, and I think they go great with Gretchen and Cordelia. I bet you could also do something unusual like Nayo/Nao/Neo or Teo/Tio. Tigger might be a sweet pet name for an energetic baby boy, too. Love Ignatius!

I think Julius/Julian, Aurelius/Aurelian, and Niall [prn. Ny-all, though I have heard "neel"] are all great ideas, too!

Ha, I have a distant relative named Hieronymous! I always thought it was some sort of strange nickname until I was about 25.

I do like the sound of Ptolemy and Orion. Raphael I like, but I wonder if that seems too... I don't know.. strange on a little boy who will likely have blonde hair and blue eyes (the kids have taken after me so far)?

With some of these more untraditional names, do you Berries think it's a good idea to base my choice on a nickname? The girls don't go by nicknames, but even if Cordelia does at some point, I'm quite fine with Cora (though I may pitch a raving fit over Cory)... and I knew that when I named her it was a possibility to I went with a name whose nickname I didn't despise.

I figure that Aurelius could be Ari. Pierce would stick. I do not like Rick for Alaric at all, so I'm not sure what I could do to control that one. I'm not a fan of Iggy for Ignatius. Julius would probably stick. Matthias would be Matt, I'm guessing. Ambrose.. I'm not really sure what people would go with... the same with Ptolemy and Orion. I think anything three syllables and over will likely be shortened. Cordelia's name hasn't been yet, but she's not in school. It may be difficult for young children to say.

I'd just hate to choose a name, like Alaric, for example, and then end up with a nickname, like Rick, that I just out and out despise.

I looked through that huge "give me your long list" thread. which, was awesome by the way and then this thread and some of the name lists here on Nameberry. I found some other names I might like. I'm trying to really work on this stuff. This thread has been great. I think it just helped for people to say they understood on some level. I'm trying to focus on how I'll feel when he arrives and not how I feel now.

Anyways, thoughts on these names with my daughter's names? I know I don't want anything trendy, no D or V names (last name begins with a D and I'm not a fan of the initials VD and husband hates alliteration), something uncommon but accessible. Some of these will be nicknamed though, so I have to think about that.

Oisin
    Blaise
    Rainier
    Caius
    Alden
    Frederick
    Phinneas (I am not a fan of Finn though... I find it very popular)

Can I get some pronunciation help on these? How they sound in my head I like but I may be saying them incorrectly: Aeneas, Alaire

For a middle name, I thought about doing something based on meaning.. maybe something having to do with the ocean (we actually moved to this state because the ocean has been so therapeutic in helping me kick my anxiety and depression to the curb... until this pregnancy of course!) or perhaps having to do with strength or whatnot. I'm not working on middle names yet, just thinking out loud, per usual. I'm very long winded.

Thanks for everyone still sticking with me. I realize this thread has gotten very *very* long, but I'd truly give all of you a hug if I could. A thousand 'thank you's'.
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013

I'm not a parent, so I don't know what you're going through, but I will say that I've suffered depression since I was 13 or 14 and I understand some of what you're feeling.

I also have a friend who went through some major depression and gender disappointment through her pregnancy. She and her husband weren't planning on having a baby so quickly so she was wary of that to begin with, but once she got used to the idea she really wanted a girl. At the gender scan they found out they were having a boy, husband was happy either way but she got depressed to the point of nearly being suicidal, and was seeing a therapist two or three times a week (she also had a high-risk pregnancy and severe anxiety disorder). She had some of the same concerns you have -- couldn't find any cute boys' clothes, couldn't find any cute nursery ideas, et c. She's a huge Disney fan so eventually she went with a Simba themed nursery but I see you don't like cartoon characters. Anyway, I just wanted to share because literally the minute she announced her son's birth on facebook, her mood totally turned around. Ian's a year old now and she's thrilled to have a boy! So I hope it turns out the same way for you.

Also I love Julius and Ignatius with your kids' names. Nate as a NN for Ignatius would be just as intuitive as Iggy, I think! Shouldn't be a problem! And I see no problem at all with having all white onesies and nursery stuff for now, until you can get a little more excited about decorating. Having the older girls decorate onesies with fabric markers for him sounds like a great idea to me. Good luck!
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k m

Florence Beatrix Guinevere Helena Vivian
    August Barnaby Roland Whitney Atlas

If you like Nate, how about Nathaniel? Is that too common for you?

Actually not a fan of Nate/Nathaniel... it's the name of my sister's ex boyfriend who was abusive to her.
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013