Names Searched Right Now:
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tarynkay View Post
    Ah, I see. I don't pay that much attention to the rankings, I base things more on whether or not I hear a name frequently at the park, among friends, at church, etc. I saw a map online once that showed the popularity of various names by state. That might help you, if you are concerned w. names being too popular.

I'll have to Google and find that. It might be interesting to know what's popular locally rather than based on the US as a whole.
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013

I feel like the obnoxious hopeful people in that. But if you aren't wanting us to stop trying to brainstorm ideas, here's another one. Maybe instead of staring at lists of baby names getting frustrated at yourself for not being able to fall in love with one of them, you'd be better off finding some things to read that are likely to have a lot of male characters with names that are mostly in your style, and let the names wash over you and see if anything sticks. I think anything with either a medieval or Ancient Greek (since you like the -us ending) setting might be good.

I have to say I totally feel you on the boys thing...not for myself, as I have no kids and am nowhere near close to having them. But I also grew up with only sisters and only girl friends and didn't have cousins or neighbor boys my age to play with. I never cared for the boys at school.

I have all nieces, no nephews and personally wanted to keep it that way...until the time when my sister babysat her friend's young son for a few days and I suddenly realized boys aren't all icky and gross and wild and violent and crazy and disrespectful and sports everywhere. They can be sweet and cuddly and their haircuts are cute and the way they look in footy pajamas is possibly even cuter than girls, and it was suddenly like I started noticing that their clothes didn't have to be only shades of blue or red with sports-themed prints, and I could do their nursery however I liked, and it suddenly all became a lot more appealing. But honestly, for me...I had been around baby/toddler boys before, and was just like "meh, what is the appeal here" and it wasn't until that one that I was like "Oh, that's the appeal"

Depression sucks, and I am sorry that you're going through it and that people aren't as understanding as you need them to be. I hope once your baby is in your arms you'll have that lightbulb moment like I did.

Suggestions for nursery that I would make: go for colors you like. Nurseries don't have to be all baby-ish; I personally hate the baby animals, trucks, fairytale things. I figure they'll only be small enough for that decor for 4-5 years, tops, and I hate wasting money and spending my time decorating unnecessarily. My future kids' nurseries will most likely be unisex dark grey or dark blue, with pops of color in the furniture and wall decor. I like maps and traveling, so I like the idea of decorating with maps and with things picked up from my travels.

As far as fashion, I find boys' hair and clothes as fun as girls...sometimes more so. You may have to wade through Pinterest for a bit, but oh my! Button-up shirts and cardigans on little boys make my heart melt! The hats, the bowties, the teeny chuck taylors!

When it comes to names: I'm horrible at picking names for other people. I usually pick it based on what I imagine the kid would look like...for example, to me an Arthur is a little boy with dark hair and thick eyelashes; I can't see a little blond, blue-eyed boy called Arthur, it just doesn't work in my head.
    Gretchen and Cordelia both, to me, sound more classic, old-fashioned, vaguely European names, so a brother to those, I would picture as Gilbert, Reginald, Thomas, Winston, Alfred, or Nicholas...do any of those sound non-horrible, or am I way off?
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Quote Originally Posted by kerrycl View Post
    I feel like the obnoxious hopeful people in that. But if you aren't wanting us to stop trying to brainstorm ideas, here's another one. Maybe instead of staring at lists of baby names getting frustrated at yourself for not being able to fall in love with one of them, you'd be better off finding some things to read that are likely to have a lot of male characters with names that are mostly in your style, and let the names wash over you and see if anything sticks. I think anything with either a medieval or Ancient Greek (since you like the -us ending) setting might be good.

That may not be a bad idea, honestly. I think I have a few books like that lying around here at home. I'm sure there are name lists online with Ancient names.
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013

Just a few more suggestions and as always, sorry for repeats!

Luther
    Rupert
    Gregor/Gregory (maybe too close to Gretchen though?)
    Walter
    Martin
    Matthias
    Bertram
    Blaine
    Alonzo
    Titus
    Clark