Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    I had only very mild gender disappointment myself, so I can't really understand what you're going through. But I also only have sisters and totally saw myself as having three daughters. My second turned out to be a boy, but I've found that since he has an older sister he indeed has participated in tea parties, and sometimes wears his sister's fluffy dress-up skirt to dance around the family room, etc. (and your boy will have two older sisters, so for him it will probably be even more likely for him to jump right into some of the more "girly" playing!) I've bought most of my son's clothes at Carter's and even there I've not had too hard of a time steering clear of the sports-themed clothing. He's had clothes with raccoons, pirate ships, monsters, frogs, surfboards, etc. There are plenty of cute boy clothes out there, I think. Other places to look at are Naartjie and MiniBoden for baby boy clothes that are a bit different from what you normally see.

As far as a nursery goes, my son had the same nursery as my daughter which I purposefully made gender-neutral from the start. I picked fabric I liked and made a crib skirt, and then everything else was chosen to match that. Nothing about it is specifically baby-ish, just decor and colors that I like. Maybe think of it as decorating a guest room - how would you decorate a bedroom for yourself or a guest without worrying about the baby part of it?

In my limited experience with my three kids, plus the few kids I've babysat for and really gotten to know, boys are so much more cuddly than girls. My son would love to be held, hugged, cuddled, etc. as much as I can stand. My daughters are much more independent (even my 3 month old!) and would rather have a quick hug and then their space. There is something wonderful about having a boy that I can cuddle up next to and who doesn't push me away like his sisters do. I know that's perhaps not necessarily tied to gender, but my point is that there will likely be some differences from your daughters and some of those you'll be glad to discover. And in other ways, there's not much difference at all. They're all just my kids. I sincerely hope you're able to come to a place where this isn't weighing you down so much.

And finally, my goodness, your girls' names are beautiful together and I think we're all a bit eager to help you pick the perfect boy name to go with them. You've gotten a lot of good suggestions so far.
    Last edited by aguafresca; June 5th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Lucía, Sebastián, & Inés
    Next: Eloísa Pilar or Félix Ignacio

Blade --

I realize you're probably correct, as is everyone else. I don't have a real concrete reason why I'm so disappointed, outside of the shopping and naming. I don't know if it is, in fact, my recent health issues that are just sort of seeping into how I view the pregnancy in general. It's been hard to separate them in my mind, though the pregnancy did not cause the health problems, though it likely accelerated the speed to which it spread. So, perhaps I'm clinging on to something concrete to be upset about because it's easier? I can't say for certain.

My husband won't take the reigns on naming. Since our first daughter, he's given me full naming rights since I'm the one pregnant. Not to mention, he's told me that he refuses to do the naming since I'll resent him for naming him "something stupid" later. He is excited about having a boy, but no more excited than if we were having a girl. At the beginning, neither of us had a preference. He still doesn't.

I'll check out some of those stores you suggested. The baby stuff isn't my speed either, not for girls or boys. I don't do baby animals and cartoons or the like. I've been shopping at the places I shop for my girls... Tea Collection, Mini Boden, Janie and Jack, etc. Maybe I should look into some local boutiques as well. I've never heard of Mud Pies, so I'll be on their site after I post this.

Boyandgirl --

I really am trying to be excited. I thought shopping for the baby and choosing a name would help me embrace things and it's sort of backfired on me. I do think that I'll be fine at some point. I do struggle with PPD (at least, I have in my previous two births), so I understand and accept that it may take a few months to be "fine", but it will definitely happen.

Wattle ---

Not sure I'll look back on a depressed period and laugh, but I will certainly try. I've struggled with depression for many years and realize that this gender disappointment is just part of my slump.
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013

I agree that the name suggestions have been lovely and definitely pair well with the girls' names. I'm just waiting to see one that I think "that one definitely belongs on my list". There's nothing wrong with any of them, but I haven't found one that I really like yet (I'm not shooting for love at this point!)
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013

I would stop thinking about names and shopping for a while. The more pressure you put on yourself the harder it will be.
    I like simple yet versatile names that work well for the athlete, the comic, the genius, and the judge.

Why not pick a neutral theme for the nursery? Nothing that is overly masculine or overly girly? You can always buy onesies from the unisex section as well. You can always do that till they grow out of them. Perhaps it will give you enough time to get used to the idea.

As for names, why not pull inspiration from some literary characters you love. Or maybe honour a family or friend by using their name. Don't rush into naming though, if you're not ready.

EDIT : Im not sure whre you live...but I find Joe Fresh always cute stuff http://joefresh.com/en/category/kids-baby-boy
    Last edited by mrs_anton_yelchin1990; June 5th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.