Names Searched Right Now:
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast
    Yeah, there have been a lot of really neat nurseries posted in this thread. Maybe we should change the title to "inspiration thread"!

I'm not really considering any at this point, but over the course of the pregnancy, I have considered:

Henry (vetoed due to popularity)
    Miles (vetoed due to popularity)
    Alaric
    Oscar (vetoed by husband)
    Augustus (vetoed by husband because his friend just named his own son that)
    Aurelius
    Pierce
    Theodore (vetoed later because I decided I wasn't that much of a fan)
    Asher (vetoed by husband)
    Rhett (vetoed for how it sounds with our last name)
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013

I love that nursery photo that mrstoon posted, even though that is not usually my style! That is gorgeous, though.

I do understand what you are saying about a bare room being depressing. I like the idea that someone had above of turning it into a space where you want to feed and change the baby. I do think that you can make this work for a boy, maybe just minus the ruffles.

Re: bare minimum

I think this is different for everyone, and since you have gone through this twice already, you probably have a really good idea of what you absolutely need. Like you mentioned the stroller- that is a great idea, and honestly, I didn't have one till my son was about six months old. Before then I was going on walks w. him in moby wrap. It was winter, so this was not as crazy as it might sound. But then my mother in law got us a stroller and I was like, wow! This thing is awesome!

For us, the list went like this:

A crib (just the basic Ikea one. We had to have one for the homestudy)
    Crib mattress protector
    2 plain white crib sheets, also from Ikea (I bought cute ones later on)
    I didn't do any bumpers or anything on the crib, thanks to the AAP
    A convertible carseat (goes from 5 to 55 lbs)
    10 footed sleepers ( again, winter baby)
    A 3-pack of those soft baby hats
    A dozen cheap prefolds for burpcloths
    A cute coming from the hospital outfit
    6 bottles (we exclusively bottle-fed)
    Formula and diapers (though we picked these up on the way to the hospital)
    A moby wrap (I made this)
    I also made a baby quilt ahead of time, but this was obviously not necessary. I like to make quilts though, and it helped me cope w. the attendant anxiety.

That was it. The hospital gave us loads of those flannel blankets that they swaddle the babies in. They gave us pacifiers. I think we would've wanted those things if they hadn't, but again, we figured we could go to the store. We figured out quickly that a bouncy seat was great to have around so we could take showers. So if I had it to do over, I would have bought that from the beginning.

For us, it was more a matter of not wanting to buy loads of specific stuff that would be around reminding us of an adoption that didn't work out. We did end up buying way more cute and helpful stuff, after he was here.

For what it's worth, I love Henry with your girls' names!
    From our ancestors come our names, but from our virtues our honors. ~ Proverb

Caroline Audrey & Patrick Elliot, Catherine Grace & James Frederick, Claire Elizabeth & Luke Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by kyemsma View Post
    For what it's worth, I love Henry with your girls' names!
    It's cute, but really popular here. It's 43rd in the US and then in New England, I'm guessing much higher. I hear it quite a bit. Being a Jennifer, I am very sensitive to popular names.
    Mom to:

Gretchen Sofia
    Cordelia Violet

due July 2013

I really like Aurelius, and Alaric. And Miles. It is really that popular? I know that Henry is, though I don't know any little Henry's. I do know a little Aurelio, and he goes by Aury. I love it- cute nickname for a handsome grownup name. May I suggest Gabriel?