Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Variations of Lydia

My husband and I chose a name for our baby in the beginning of April. We are due at the end of August. My sister-in-law is due August 5th. I decided that we should make sure our names were different because we both like Bible names. It turns out that we chose the same name: LYDIA.
    Now I am looking for ways to change the name so that we can still use some form of Lydia. Example: Lidianna. Any suggestions? It could be a double name like Lydialyn or something. Help!

My niece is Lydia and it's such an adorable name! Other variations could be...

Lily
    Liliana
    Luda
    Leda
    Lyra
    Leela
    Lolita
    Lilith
    Lilibeth

Love Lydia! I nearly named my car Lydia (she is such a Liddy!), but she was so not a Lydia. So I opted for Elodie nn Liddy. Maybe use a name that can yield the nn Liddy? Like Elodie? Or something like Lilia or Livia? or something similar to those, like Liliana/Lillian, or Olivia/Olive? Although those don't really have Bible connections to them. There's the French form, Lydie, but I think that's probably too close to Lydia.

Good luck!

Have you discussed your conundrum with your sister in law? You obviously feel very connected with this name. In all your posts, you can just tell that Lydia is THE name. Why do you have to be the one to give in and give up your name? If you love it this much, I would talk to her. Perhaps she has more than one name she loves. And I hate to suggest this, because I don't know if I could do it, but would it be the end of the world if you both used the name? Who knows, it could end up being a funny family thing. Probably not, but I have a few different cousins with the same name. Granted, there are 50 something first cousins and it was bound to happen, but still. I really feel for you and hate for you to have to compromise.

I agree with the above poster about talking things through with your sister-in-law.

The thing with Lydia is that it's perfect as is, and it's one of those names really WITHOUT variants, nicknames, etc. So it would be hard to keep a version of it if you decide to give it up. If you feel you can't use it, you might as well start over...