Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What do you think of my top 10?

I know it's ridiculous to spend my time thinking about these things when it's nowhere near close to happening, but hey it's a hobby.

Soo...after some thoughts, I've finally come up with 10 first names that I like the sound of and that I can picture on a kid.

Boys:
    Milo
    Atticus
    Jess
    Christian (possible nickname Kit)
    Davey/Davy

Girls:
    Artemis
    India*
    Oswin
    Scout (I love the idea of having Finch as a middle name for Scout....way too over the top, or a nice nod to one of my favorite characters?)
    Juno

So..I guess the reason I'm posting this is for opinions, feedback, middle name suggestions, etc. I know my names aren't really most people's cup of tea, and I'm open to constructive criticism if you hate some/all of them. Also, my nieces and nephews have classic names...think William/Elizabeth-type names. One of my siblings likes more trendy names for her future kids, but she also has some classics mixed into her list. Will it matter that of the grandchildren, my kids will be the odd ducks with non-classic names? I don't really think it matters, but I suppose it's something to consider

Basically, I'm okay with you guys ripping apart the list and giving me your honest opinions...so go for it. Would I be a horrible person to use these names?

*After all of the discussion and arguments I've witnessed on Nameberry, I had decided I could never use the name India on a child...until I mentioned that to a friend when talking about the names I liked and this friend, who is Indian, was completely confused by why the name would be considered offensive. I'd still consider it carefully before really using it, but if this friend isn't offended by it then it's back on the table for me as a option.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

I don't understand Oswin as a first name but that's the only one that would make me pull a O_o face. The rest are fine

Other suggestions with the 'oz' sound:

Rosalind
    Rosaline
    Rosamund
    Roswinda
    Roswitha
    Osmunda
    Cosima
    Last edited by renrose; June 4th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

Thanks for the responses, guys

I'm realizing that a lot of people are hating Oswin, Scout, and Juno, so if you have suggestions that fit with Artemis and India I would love to hear them! Same for the boys, Atticus seems to be becoming unpopular here on Nameberry, and even though I love the sound of it, I'd hate to name a kid something that people cringe or roll their eyes at.
    I hope to be a mom one day. For now I enjoy being a name lover.

My apologies for any typos; i post from my mobile phone.

Milo - I prefer Miles nn Milo, it feels to nickname. Plus it's the name of one of the Tweenies (UK preschool TV show) which if you're in the UK you might want to consider.
    Atticus - I find this a bit pretentious
    Jess - All the Jess's I know have been girls. I even find Jesse girlish as it's said the same as Jessie, which a lot of Jessicas go by as children.
    Christian (possible nickname Kit) - I find it a bit overly religious. I can't imagine an atheist Christian. Kit's cute though
    Davey/Davy - Nice as a nickname for David or something only

Girls:
    Artemis - I think people would see this as a boy name because of the Artemis Fowl books
    India* - I like the sound of it but I'm not a fan of place names
    Oswin - It sounds more like a boy name to me too, because it sounds more surname which is popular on boys and aslo like a mix of Oswald and Edwin.
    Scout - As a nickname. I've heard of Scarlett nn Scout which is cute. Scout Finch Surname is too much though, I'd give one of the names something normal, like Scout Amelia Surname or Jessica Finch Surname, in case she doesn't want something weird
    Juno - Tied to the movie, but Juniper nn Juno would be cute, or even June nn Juno.

I'm not trying to be horrible, there just honestly isn't a name on your list I like straight out and don't have some sort of issue with.
    My two bundles of love, Dominic Joseph and Tabitha Faye

Boys:

Milo: I love this spunky name.

Atticus: I'm seing this name everywhere so it's lost its spark. I've always like Roman names but I think there are some better ones that this one that end in "us". I love Cassius, Augustus, Cornelius, Darius, Ignatius, Julius etc...

Jess - I like the Blbical name of Jesse so this is just a nickname for me and looks incomplete without the final "e".

Christian (possible nickname Kit) : I don't mind this name because I'm Christian but a lot of non-believers turn up their nose.

Davey/Davy - too cutesy for a grown man. Humans are adults for most of our lives so we have to pick names that age well.

Girls:

Artemis: This is a strong mythological name and I like it! The only thing it lacks is a good nn: Artie, Tem/Temi, Missy - no, Issy maybe?

India - lots of problems with this one. If you don't have any special ties to India, I would stay clear.

Oswin - this is a BOYS name for me. Why use it for a girl when you can choose it for a boy?

Scout - I think this word makes an adorable nickname but I wouldn't consider it for a first name. Jean Louise nn Scout was the character's real name and I find that name would be more "unique" in this day and age. Finch would be a good mn choice but again I wouldn't have it as a first name or as a mn for Scout. And you will have to choose which one you like better - Atticus or Scout? It would be quite cheesy to have both in the same family.

Juno - this is fine. Yeah, it's the name of a film but the film wasn't a blockbuster, was it? I also like June, Junia and Juniper.
    All the best,
    Mischa.