Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How did you break the news?

I thought we had it in the bag, but I haven't warmed to Ted as much as I feel I should have. He just isn't a Thatcher, so we can't use his full name and he just doesn't "feel' like a Ted. Everyone keeps telling me how much they think Ted and Bugsy go together, but the more I say it the more I feel like Ted is insipid and inferior to Bugsy, it isn't the end of the world but it bothers me a little.

I feel kind of stupid for even posting this tread but I don't know how to broach the subject to my husband that I want to look for other options on names... He is really into the name, but I feel flat, it doesn't excite me at all, which isn't how I ever wanted to feel. Maybe I'm being selfish, but couldn't live with regretting our baby's name for the rest of his life. I think the fact that I have hated naming him for the past 2 months hasn't helped with my choice either, it feels like we are settling, not choosing the perfect name.

I'm not really asking for suggestions, I've definitely had my share of your kind suggestions, but i'd love to know if any of you have had to tell your spouse you want to change your child's name, and how you approached the topic?
    We have always communicated incredibly well, but I know Jack was getting sick of my indecisiveness before we had our bub, so this isn't going to be easy.

I don't know if it's my incredible lack of sleep (he screams all night, and when he isn't screaming he wiggles and snorts and snuffles, he was out of our room the day after we brought him home, our beautiful baby is killing me!) or just my obsessive perfectionist personality, but I cannot get this right. Anyway, I kind of just babbled and babbled, but hopefully you get the gist of where I'm coming from!

Lila
    Mama to Bugsy William and Jem Richmond.

I went around feeling queasy for a while before I womaned up and told him. He was relieved; he felt the same way I did! I was a bit nervous though, because the naming journey wore him out a bit (I swear he got more greys during the process!), but I didn't want her to have the wrong name. The thing is, with all the hormones and everything we go through as pregnant women, there's no wonder we pick the wrong name sometimes. Your husband might find it a bit tedious, but if you explain it to him, hopefully he'll be understanding.

If he's not a Thatcher, he's not a Thatcher. I think it's fabulous, but you're the mama and you know best. Was there any other names you loved? I remember you had Ziggy on your list and that is a rocking name!

Good luck, sweetie!
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014

Belated thanks for your advice Otter. I took it and surprisingly, he wasn't in love with Thatcher either, so to the drawing board we went.
    In the end it became apparent that other than the names on our initial list there really isn't anything else, so his name is once and for all, Jem Richmond.
    I feel a sense of happiness that I didn't feel with Thatcher, it's harder and stronger and he is a fairly happy, deep thinking, soft little boy (except when it comes to sleep!) and a total opposite from his fire cracker, nuts brother.
    I'm pretty sure most people will still like Thatcher more, but if you met my boys you would see that Bugsy and Jem match them perfectly. I don't even think of Jemima at all now! We are both 100% happy with the decision, no going back now I sent the birth certificate in yesterday!

Thanks again,
    Lila
    Mama to Bugsy William and Jem Richmond.

I think that your change of heart led to a fabulous name change. I love, love Jem. It equals Bugsy in many respects. It's fun, unusual, quirky, but decidedly cool and masculine. Brothers Bugsy and Jem are going to be fun kids to know. Congratulations! I hope you feel settled and at peace with the decision. I really love it.
    Mama to
    Desmond Sanders, born 7/2013
    and dog son, Lambeau

Oh, Jem is precious! I love Jem on its own, not as a nickname. You did really well on that one, Bugsy and Jem! Sounds like an old movie starring James Dean and Rock Hudson
    My darling Marian Illyria Aphrodite, March 2013 & Little Bunny (a girl!) due 9th of February 2014