Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I'll echo some other comments: it's not weird pr wrong, within some general boundaries. Make sure you're using it appropriately (correct gender, no adverse implications among actual speakers of the language). I second the recommendation that one should be especially sensitive to marginalized groups.

The leap from French ancestry to Scandinavian names isn't so far. But from French ancestry to, for example, Japanese names is more of a stretch. If my white American karate teacher, who dedicated his life to martial arts and studied in Okinawa for many years, wanted to call his kid Tatsuo after the founder of the Isshin Ryu style, that's one thing: if some random dude heard Tatsuo on TV and thought it just sounded badass, that's another.

Consider how you would feel when explaining your choice to other people: will it annoy you, or make you feel awkward, or are you totally confident in the face if others' confusion or vague disapproval?

I think it is fine. A lot of the names that people think of as "English" are borrowed from other cultures.

I think it's ok to pick names outside your ethnicity - especially in America - a nation made up of immigrants. I think it can be stretched too far in some cases, but it's generally well accepted. For example: our baby would be Mexican and various types of white European. A friend recommended a Japanese name for our boy and I thought it was a little too out there because neither of us is in any way Asian, but some people might be cool with it. We're considering a French name right now even though we are extremely distantly French. We just like the sound of the name and that it goes with our last name. Think of how many little American girls were named Michelle in the 80s who were barely French. Not a big deal, right?!

My half sister is Asian and Mexican (no white) and our family chose a Scandinavian name for her since she's American and we like the name.

I think it depends on a few factors for sure. I think if you have always loved a certain culture, visited the country, speak the language, etc, then people would be much more accepting of the choice rather than just liking it for the sound or something like that.
    Mama to ~Rowan Josephine 1/12~
    and ~Teagan Dahlia~ 5/13~

Just choose a name that sounds fabulous with your surname and it will be perfect.