Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Would you name your baby after the city or state you live in?

We live in NC and keep running into little girls named Carolina. I like the name Carolina, but I would not use it specifically b.c we live here. So I wondered what other folks thought about this. Would you name your daughter Dakota if you lived in ND? Or Paris if you lived in Paris?

I moved around a lot when I was little. The first place I remember living is a fairly common boy's name, and after leaving all I wanted to do was go back. It's a place that has a lot of meaning to me, for various reasons, and I have considered using it as a name. I probably won't, but it has crossed my mind.
    I'm not feeling incredibly profound at the moment. Check back later.

I have met a few girls named Brooklyn in Brooklyn! Now I live in Jersey and I haven't met one of those yet...but I'm sure they're out there! I like some place names with special meaning to me, but mostly place names work for me cause they stir up a feeling of nostalgia. I wouldn't use the place that I live cause I have no nostalgia for where I currently least not yet.

I have heard children called the names of streets so near where they live as well, which is odd to me. I also recently realized that a boy I know named Lincoln goes to a school by that name! I also recently heard of someone I know having a niece named Albany.

I named my daughter Louisianna, an old name with family and dear friend references but of course almost a wonderful state's name and a Randy Newman song I LOVE about that state! so yes! I think with other writers that the place name should have meaning for you, but that said there are some beautiful ones ~ try this poem for a few!
    "I have fallen in love with American names, the sharp names that never get fat." - Stephen Vincent Benet

Copenhagen, Denmark
    Nope, never. Generally, I just don't think that this trend of place names haven't reached Denmark (yet). Some acquaintances of mine had an India a couple of years ago, but I think that's the only place name that has managed to somewhat break through here. Besides, Danish place names would never work (Middlefart, anyone?) I live on Amager which is an island within our capital, Copenhagen, and I don't think that either Copenhagen (little Copie? Haggie? Penny?) or Amager would do well on tiny humans.
    Zelia • XXI • History student • Film and royalty enthusiast
    I blog at vesperlynds and everythingroyalty, and export names from Greenland and Inuit mythology
    Henry Ásgeirr Edmund • Alexander Adelin Lórien "Sasha" • Atticus Aksel Inigo • Asa Fjordur Ivik
    Cosima Ingrid Zenobia "Mimi" • Asta Ivalo (EE-vah-lu) Galadriel • Aviaaja Catherine Françoise "Avi" • Hester Margaret Undómiel "Hedy"

GPs: Nor Valdemar Oisín • Ilja Bertil Lysander • Olga Agnes Lúthien • Evelyn Alvaret Cleopatra "Elví"