Names Searched Right Now:

Vicar and the rest of the clergy

I've been surprised to see the popularity of Abbot/Abbott and Deacon lately. Both are word/occupation/surnames names I wouldn't readily consider.

What do you think, does Vicar have a chance? I'll admit, I like it better than Victor. To what do you attribute the rise of Abbot and Deacon? Is it surname related, religion related or neither?

I'm just curious about the trend.
    Mama to Belle & Pip
    Wife, mother, farmer, friend and doula.

Abbott and Deacon follow some hot trends: occupational names, word names, celebrity baby names (Deacon is the son of actress Reese Witherspoon), boys names ending in "tt" (eg. Emmett. Everett, Garrett) and boys names ending in "n". I don't see why Vicar couldn't join this group. Also, I've always had a soft spot for Parson and Bishop is pretty cool too. The only religious occupations I don't see gaining strength is Cardinal and Pope
    All the best,
    Mischa.

My guess is that Abbott and Deacon are popular more because they fit with other name trends, just as Mischa said, and more despite the religious connections than because of them. Especially as Abbott is a pretty old/obscure title. I can see Bishop, Parson, and Vicar all catching on in the near future, too.
    Not so much Preacher, Reverend, Pope, Pastor, Minister, Abbess, Monk...actually, most that I'm thinking of except the above sound unworkable! Anyone have other workable ideas?

Wow! Bishop, Parson and Pastor all had NB entries already. Occupational and surname status, I suppose.

And I can actually see Monk catching on in more "hipster", for lack of a better term, circles. It's a bit of a stretch from the clegery theme, but I foresee a big jump for Shepherd in the next few years.
    Mama to Belle & Pip
    Wife, mother, farmer, friend and doula.

I know a Shepherd who is about 15. His older brother is Cooper, about 20. I think their parents were a bit ahead of the whole occupation/surname thing, especially with a pastoral bent.